Where should I store my eggs?

On the counter would probably do just fine. Consider how warm an 'old timer's' farmhouse might be! Heh.... it'd work just fine in my house! Mostly it's just a safe place where they won't get disturbed too much, in the summer I keep em in the 'cool' part of the basement, in the winter in the 'warm' side.

Does anyone know how long you can keep a fertile egg before putting it in the incubator?

warez*sunny :

I thought if you put them in a fridge/ wine cooler they would get to cold and wouldnt hatch.. This is a good topic for me.. I too, want to know the best place and way to store eggs for hatching..

Most wine refrigerators you can set for either white or red wines.

Red wines are kept more at a room temperature. I only drink reds, my wine
refrigerator is kept at a temp between 59 and 63, much warmer than a regular
refrigerator ( 35)

I think the main thing is you don't want fluctations... the wine
refrigerator allows me to keep the eggs constant where on the counter
they may fluctuate.. or at least it does at my house since i dont have
central heat/air . I've had really good hatches in the past so it must be
working okay.​

I know this is an old thread, but still timely. I'd like to add a question: where do I keep hatching eggs I've ordered? They were shipped Wednesday and I picked them up this morning. I was told to let them settle 6-8 hours before putting them under my broody hen. I was told that it would be okay to set them in a safe place on the porch (pointy side down, of course). It's about 80 and very humid right now in SE TN. Should I take them in the house where it's much cooler? I really, really want these eggs to hatch!

I've done a bit of research because so many opinion differed widely. I reached out to the univerisiy's for info.

Typical kitchen refrig is too cold; left on the counter too warm. THe goal is to maximize the hatch %. Colder or hotter reduces hatching %. The best seems to be 50-65 degrees with a 70% humidity to really prevent significant moisture loss.

Eggs arriving after shipping I'm still researching. All eggs should be kept from moisture adhering to the eggs; so cold eggs moved to a moist warm area could be a problem. Warm them up slowly to prevent moisture on the eggs. Eggs need to sit about 8 hours in hopes of the air cells fixing themselves if they can.

Search for university of Fl and mississippi publications--they are very informative.

Back
Top Bottom