Where to buy some pullets?

If he is up above you or on you it makes you "his". I've only had 1 rooster, my current, and aside from a health check on the roost at night from time to time, I am 💯 hands off and he is a good boy. Gives me my space and let's me tend to the ladies when need be
Hmmm...ok. That's when I go in and sit low, on a wood pallet. If I take a folding chair, he doesn't come around, but Onyx still comes to sit with me.

When I go in the run, Onyx (BR sweetie) wants me to hold her in my lap. When I sit down, Chanticlere (RIR rooster) immediately jumps up and kind of hangs out. But he makes me nervous if his face gets too close to my face. Lol.
But are you saying that just letting him do that will make him mean?
Yes, actually.
Chickens have a social hierarchy, the top birds get the best food, the best treatment and food, the highest roosts. By letting him ride around, he's above you and he gets in his head that you're below him on the pecking order and will make sure you know it once hormones flow in a few months.
Sometimes cockerels are nice no matter how their raised and sometimes they're aggressive no matter what.

Yes, actually.
Chickens have a social hierarchy, the top birds get the best food, the best treatment and food, the highest roosts. By letting him ride around, he's above you and he gets in his head that you're below him on the pecking order and will make sure you know it once hormones flow in a few months.
Sometimes cockerels are nice no matter how their raised and sometimes they're aggressive no matter what.
So, instead of petting him or getting him used to us, we need to let him know that we won't hurt him, but we're bigger and the boss of him. Then see where his attitude takes him.

So, instead of petting him or getting him used to us, we need to let him know that we won't hurt him, but we're bigger and the boss of him. Then see where his attitude takes him.
Generally, ignore him. No attention, walk through him. If he runs to you ignore home or smack him away. He needs to know you can hurt him that's why you're not his underling.

Generally, ignore him. No attention, walk through him. If he runs to you ignore home or smack him away. He needs to know you can hurt him that's why you're not his underling.
Ahhh. I see. My husband gets his foot under him and nudges him away, never hurting him, but pushing him out a little because Chanticlere runs at his feet when he comes into the run. He also tells him, "Hey, I'm the big rooster here." Lol. I guess Alan already had him dialed in before I did.

@ColtHandorf has some grow outs I think.
I do have a few young girls I could let go. :)
But are you saying that just letting him do that will make him mean?
Physically, the higher a bird is, the higher the bird is socially in the pecking order. So usually, it's best not to let them be higher than you. You can "be nice," but getting a rooster overly familiar with you usually turns out badly when they start reaching sexual maturity.
We used to live in Cooper, right by Klondike. Now, we're a couple of hours away. 😒
Everything in Texas is a couple of hours away, it seems. I usually have to drive several hours, one way to get anything I'm looking for.

We bought 10 hatchlings on March 2, and we've lost 3 to various chick things. Now, we know one of them is a RIR rooster and my hen-to-rooster ratio is 6 to 1. I've read tons of stuff and seen various videos that say a good ratio is 7 to 10 hens to 1 rooster. So we need info on where to buy some girls that might be close in age to our babies. We're at Lake Texoma, in Texas, and would love any info on who may have some. I know of a lady in Denison, but she's been sick and hasn't called back...all the while, my birds are getting bigger every day.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!
Dont believe that is set in stone, but "chicken math"!

Lol...yeah. I don't want the rooster to wear the girls out if we're one or two shy of what is recommended per rooster. 😆

Lol...yeah. I don't want the rooster to wear the girls out if we're one or two shy of what is recommended per rooster. 😆
Chicken saddles with shoulder pads were my solution once I started seeing some feather damage on backs and wings. Worked pretty well. These are my favorite. Practically indestructible, un-removable (by chickens), and they use them in Australia, so designed to cup their backs instead of lying totally flat for a bit of airflow.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G?th=1

Back
Top Bottom