Where to find sand for coop/run?

robomb

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Northern Vermont
I'm trying to clean up my chicken's coop and run, because we've had so much rain it's basically a mud and poop run. The straw is soggy and stinky. Where would I find sand and how do you figure out the quantity needed? I live in Vermont.

I'm trying to clean up my chicken's coop and run, because we've had so much rain it's basically a mud and poop run. The straw is soggy and stinky. Where would I find sand and how do you figure out the quantity needed? I live in Vermont.
I do not know about your Lowes but here they sell a 900+ lb bag for around $40. If they do not carry it or Home Depot then I would check with the redi-mix concrete plants----the ones that deliver cement in the cement trucks---they might sell you a big scoop. But how much you need? A bag usually does a 1/2 cubic foot that would be 6 inches tall x 12x12 wide. So if you wanted the sand to be 3" thick a bag would do 2 sqft. 2" thick/3sqft. Use general purpose/construction type sand----not the fine play sand.

There are usually sand and gravel companies that landscapers use also. Do a search in your area. Most will deliver for $ and if you give then the dimensions they can calculate the amount you need for you.

Back
Top Bottom