Where to get Parakeets

DreamingForBirds

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2022
Hey! So, I am thinking about getting a parakeet(s). I have 5 questions:
(1) Is it better to 2 parakeets or just 1 and
(2) If it's better to get 2, which genders?
(3) If I get a female and a male, for whatever reason, will they have eggs and babies? I can't suppurate more than two parakeets.
(4) What size cage? I want a good-sized cage for it(them).
(5) Where should I get it(them) from, any good breeders or something? (I live near Chicago.) I want them to be hand raised, so it(they) can perch on my finger. And friendly, I have had a parakeet before, but I got it from the pet store, and it bit many many times. I also didn't do research, so it was very unhappy. I don't want to do that again; I feel so bad :(.
Thanks for helping out!

(1) I think it depends on how much time you can spend with them, If you're home most of the day one would be ok, I have a single budgie. If he/she seems lonely you could always get a second one later.

(2) A lot of people get 2 males, females are more aggressive and less likely to bond with another female I think. Just remember that sometimes 2 birds won't like each other, so be prepared to have 2 separate cages.

(3) If you don't give nest boxes, or things that look like nests, they shouldn't really want to have babies. They will often mate, but they do this without hatching eggs.

(4) A good sized flight cage would be ideal even for a single budgie, I got mine off amazon.

(5) Please consider getting one from a rescue. Parrots in general are one of the most rehomed animals, there's so many in need of good homes. Budgies from rescues might not be tame, but with time and patience will probably learn to trust you. My budgie wasn't hand tame at all when I got her, but now she is! If you really can't get one from a rescue, a breeder would be better than from a pet store. Getting one from a pet store just supports the irresponsible breeding of budgies in huge amounts, and the bad care that they give them.

I don't live anywhere near you, so I don't know of any, but maybe a google search would show some. There probably won't be an all parakeet rescue, (I could be wrong) but an all parrot rescue would likely have some.

(1) I think it depends on how much time you can spend with them, If you're home most of the day one would be ok, I have a single budgie. If he/she seems lonely you could always get a second one later.

(2) A lot of people get 2 males, females are more aggressive and less likely to bond with another female I think. Just remember that sometimes 2 birds won't like each other, so be prepared to have 2 separate cages.

(3) If you don't give nest boxes, or things that look like nests, they shouldn't really want to have babies. They will often mate, but they do this without hatching eggs.

(4) A good sized flight cage would be ideal even for a single budgie, I got mine off amazon.

(5) Please consider getting one from a rescue. Parrots in general are one of the most rehomed animals, there's so many in need of good homes. Budgies from rescues might not be tame, but with time and patience will probably learn to trust you. My budgie wasn't hand tame at all when I got her, but now she is! If you really can't get one from a rescue, a breeder would be better than from a pet store. Getting one from a pet store just supports the irresponsible breeding of budgies in huge amounts, and the bad care that they give them.
Period!

Hello again! Do you know of any good parakeet rescues around Chicago?
I'd just suggest you go walking around pet stores. There are BOUND to be some abandoned ones there someday. That's the hotspot for abandoning birds. Not the most effective way, actually a pretty bad way, but as per I've seen, there's ALWAYS this one irresponsible person abandoning their birds infront of petsmart.

I'd just suggest you go walking around pet stores. There are BOUND to be some abandoned ones there someday. That's the hotspot for abandoning birds. Not the most effective way, actually a pretty bad way, but as per I've seen, there's ALWAYS this one irresponsible person abandoning their birds infront of petsmart.
oh my goodness! I will do that for sure.

Back
Top Bottom