Quiet birds for Aviary?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I plan to build a planted aviary in my garden of my new house, but am really worried about how sensitive and worried people can get here in the UK sometimes. I don't want to give the neighbours any reason or cause for complains.

So I need to make sure the birds I keep will be quiet so as not to cause noise.

I would like small / medium sized and colourful birds that can be mixed together. I won't breed them in the aviary so there will be no nest boxes for them to fight over.

So far I have the following species on my list.

1. Pair Mandarin Ducks
2. Group of created Roul Roul partridge
3. Pair kakariki
4. Gouldian Finches and parrot finches
5. Splendid parakeets.

Will all these mix together ok? Will any be loud or have repetitive calls?

Any other suggestions for additional species?

The aviary will have a pond, small waterfall, lots of plants, a heated shelter and a deep litter of coconut fibre and sand outdoors. It will have 2 solid sides that are brick walls of my house and extension and be approx 7 ft tall and 14 ft long.

I know that Mandarin Ducks don't do well with other types of domestic duck, so putting them with other species of birds is probably a no-no too. Parakeets and finches can be kept together if the space is big enough, but I wouldn't house them with ducks. I don't know anything about the partridges or what species they can be paired with.

If you have birds of the the same breed and opposite sex they will try to breed.

Do more research on what species of birds can be kept together, induvial housing needs and requirements, and shared diseases. I'd also make sure that a backyard aviary is legal in your area, and maybe ask your neighbors what they think about the idea.

Back
Top Bottom