Where to house my guineas?

zachbelle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
Im getting guinea keets for the first time tomorrow they will be just a couple days old when I get them but I am wondering, should I house them with my chickens, with my turkeys, or build them a separate coop? they will be free range during the day..i am only getting three so the work involved in building a separate shelter for them really wouldn't be much but Im wondering if it would be necessary. any advice, pros and cons of all options would be great thank you. also what do you feed your guineas? when doing research I have seen some say use gamebird feed and I have seen others say use a layer ration, which would you suggest? I have both in crumbles and pellets.

My guineas are free range with my chickens and ducks. One of them actually quit hanging out with the other guineas. It stays around a buff orpington hen and a Japanese bantam rooster. I feed mine the same pellets everyone else eats.

Im getting guinea keets for the first time tomorrow they will be just a couple days old when I get them but I am wondering, should I house them with my chickens, with my turkeys, or build them a separate coop? they will be free range during the day..i am only getting three so the work involved in building a separate shelter for them really wouldn't be much but Im wondering if it would be necessary. any advice, pros and cons of all options would be great thank you. also what do you feed your guineas? when doing research I have seen some say use gamebird feed and I have seen others say use a layer ration, which would you suggest? I have both in crumbles and pellets.

Keets really do need the extra protein in turkey or game bird feed. Feeding them low protein chick starter without providing another source that is high in protein is not good for them. Once they are adults layer feed is acceptable. The higher protein is necessary for the proper development of their internal organs and to give them a good start in life.

Ok. You say layer pellets are acceptable as adults..would the game bird be better even as adults. I have the game bird chick crumb for them already just wondering about when they start to lay.

Ok. You say layer pellets are acceptable as adults..would the game bird be better even as adults. I have the game bird chick crumb for them already just wondering about when they start to lay.

When they start to lay, offer oyster shell free choice. As adults a typical game bird maintenance feed has about the same percent protein as layer pellets and ends up just being a more expensive option than what is required. As adults if allowed to free range they readily supplement their food intake with lots of insects and small animals.

Haha that's great. I don't think I will mind the noise. My husband might tho!

I don't even notice it anymore. Every now and then they'll get really loud but when they do that, there's usually something in the yard or flying above. The chickens have learned the guinea calls. They'll hide when they hear the alarm call. That's why I'd rather keep guineas and my other birds together.

Back
Top Bottom