Where to let broody hen raise her chicks ?!

Redhed891

Hatching
Apr 22, 2020
Hello All!
this is my first post. I recently was given a rooster and 6 chickens from a neighbor (he had too many roosters). Of course right out of the gate I now have a broody hen and hatch day is t-minus 9 days away. Should I let momma stay with the other chickens in the coop? (They are either in their coop/chicken run set up or free range in my backyard)Or should I make her a separate “nursery coop” to raise the babies and give them a safe run for them to learn how to Chicken? Thoughts ? What has worked best for you in the past? Pic is of the momma to be Harriet
07EB0452-EF5D-459C-9681-2E4BA396FFA1.jpeg

Very pretty lady! When we had chicks once and we had separated the mother and eggs before they hatched but I've heard that can make her stop being broody. I've read many other posts that have said to leave the mother in the coop and she will do her own thing including introducing them to the rest of the flock. I don't have personal experience there but I'm sure someone else can weigh in on that. 😊

I do. I let my momma sit and hatch in the coop. Once babies were all born, I separated them for a couple weeks. I would let her out with the babies every day for a bit so the other chickens could see them but didn't reintroduce her fully until babies were on their own. But I have like 40. That's just what I did. I know people that have let them raise them with the flock and they said the momma will do everything. You only have six so it seems ok. I just wouldn't let them free range all day long because of predators. It is harder if you raise them separate though because eventually you will need to introduce them to your flock and there will be fighting and possibly blood. We have put them in a wire cage, similar to a dog crate so they can see the flock and the flock can see them. Then after a while, open the door, with supervision at first and slowly let them explore.

Very pretty lady! When we had chicks once and we had separated the mother and eggs before they hatched but I've heard that can make her stop being broody. I've read many other posts that have said to leave the mother in the coop and she will do her own thing including introducing them to the rest of the flock. I don't have personal experience there but I'm sure someone else can weigh in on that. 😊
I have let about a dozen chickens raise babies and they have never left the eggs when I separated them. But then again, I made sure they were bloody. Either they were bloody for a while before I left eggs under them or I let them sit for a while before I separated. But if your worried, let her sit until they hatch. You can always watch what happens and of you need to separate after hatching you can

We have a flock of about 40. When I decide to let one of my broodys hatch out eggs I let her sit until I know she’s for sure about it. Usually about 2 weeks.
Then I separate her into her own little coop with eggs and food/water.
I do this for a few reasons. One is because invariably the broody will choose the favorite nest of most of the hens and this causes and uproar every day because they want to lay in it and she won’t move. (I’m listening to my NN hen Agatha scream about that very problem as I write this:D)
The other reason is linked to the first one. The broody is constantly disturbed by the others.
Plus our nest boxes aren’t on ground level and I don’t want chicks hatching and falling out of the nest.
I found it’s just easier to separate broodys.
We also bought a “dog yard” and wrapped it in plastic chicken wire. To keep the others out and to keep wild birds out.
We don’t have a big predator problem here so this setup works for us.
The flock can see the broody and her chicks in their little yard.
After the chicks have time to feather out their wings and get bigger and stronger, I open the broody yard during the day so she can forage with her chicks and the flock can see them.
I do this while supervising in the beginning. Broodys are usually very protective and will run off any flock mates who get too close.
A good rooster will also help keep the peace.
Once the broody feels the chicks are ready she will take them to roost with the flock at night.
AF6F192D-CEC2-427B-9576-B4B427F7E87B.jpeg

0479EE1C-EF79-4B2E-97DF-C08C5DF9E14D.jpeg

I love your setup choocks. .I have 2 giant dog crates I use to rear my chicks and a outside chicken tractor once they graduate into sunlight without a heatlamp. I think I like your set up better tho.. easier to clean and for the chicks a great place to learn...

I love your setup choocks. .I have 2 giant dog crates I use to rear my chicks and a outside chicken tractor once they graduate into sunlight without a heatlamp. I think I like your set up better tho.. easier to clean and for the chicks a great place to learn...
Yes those dog yards we bought are expensive but I see it as an investment. They have turned out to be extremely useful. The plastic chicken fencing is zip tied around it. Very young chicks can just walk through the bars.
We also use them for sick or injured birds that can still be outside with the flock but not touchable. At night we just pick them up and put them in the coop to roost with the flock.
We will put plywood over part of the top of the dog yard to create shade and a dry spot when it rains a bit.

Then I separate her into her own little coop with eggs and food/water.
I to separte broody to broody hutch.
Lots of problems when you leave broody in coop with other hens..stagered hatch, broken eggs, chicks to high....just to name a few.
I built hutches for brooding specifically as i always hatch chicks each year. All reclaimed materials.
i keep hen and chicks in hutch for about two weeks, then transfer back to the coop at night time.
First picture is a year ago when for mothers day weekend it was my chosen project.
Second picture is hen and chicks in one brooder now.
Moving a broody after darkness is key.
20190527_163101.jpg
20200503_125323.jpg

Back
Top Bottom