Where to order Ducklngs

Danzibelle

Hatching
Mar 24, 2015
Maine
Whereabouts in New England is there to order ducklings from? I've been looking at sites all over, from Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Missouri. Even one from California. But I'm not comfortable trying to order ducks from so far away. Is there anywhere in New England that I can order from? Or even go pick up from?? I'm looking for specific breeds, White Layers, Cayugas and Anconas.

Metzer is in California and I got ducks with them. Honestly, I trust a big, knowledgeable breeder over some hardware store guy who bought ducks from joe farmer. There is so much that can go wrong and starting up duck ownership is hard enough without wondering if there are genetic issues.

Welcome,
I've ordered all my ducks from Metzer Farms in CA. They ship on a Monday and arrive in Florida on Wednesday. Being such a long distance, I add some Gro-Gel to the package which is something of a nutrient rich jello. One batch I ordered in the Fall, the other in the Spring. Both times they drop an extra duckling in the package, just in case, but all their ducks have arrived active and healthy.

Don't fret shipping them the long distance, when they are freshly hatched, they still have an abundance of nutrients in their little bodies to support them on the trip. Add the Gro-Gel (empty plastic cups in the picture) and they will be fine. The above picture is of my last batch of Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin. I also give the post office a head's up phone call for them to be on the lookout for them. I'll open the box at the post office, a bunch of baby quackers in the morning makes everyone's day!

Enjoy,
Rich

Call Metzer and talk to them. I just found this on their site and thought you might find it useful:
(6) Summary of comments from waterfowl judges that have visited our farm.

Breed APA Class Foraging Ability Conservation
Status (5) Our Show Quality (6) Flying Ability Origin
Black Swedish Medium Good Watch Average None Germany
Black Runner Light Very Good Recovering Average None Indonesia
Blue Runner Light Very Good Recovering Average None Indonesia
Blue Swedish Medium Good Watch Average None Germany
Buff Medium Good Threatened Average None England
Cayuga Medium Good Threatened Excellent Color, Good Type None USA
Chocolate Runner Light Very Good Recovering Average None Indonesia
Fawn and White Runner Light Very Good Recovering Average None Indonesia
Jumbo Pekin Heavy Fair Abundant Good for Meat Classes None China
Golden 300 Hybrid Layer N/A Good No Rank Not Shown None Metzer Farms
Grimaud Hybrid Pekin Heavy Fair No Rank Meat Class Only None France
Khaki Campbell Light Very Good Watch Fairly Good Type Maybe England
Mallard Bantam Very Good Abundant Too "Chunky" Very Good Native to North America
Pekin Heavy Fair Abundant Meat Class Only None China
Rouen Heavy Good Watch Not For Exhibition Maybe France
Welsh Harlequin Light Good Critical Above Average None Wales
White Crested Medium Fair No Rank Excellent Breeders None Holland
White Layer N/A Good No Rank Not For Exhibition None Metzer Farms

The above is from this link:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

-Kathy

Last edited:
Oh, I'm not that far from you Dan...I got my Metzer ducks last Wednesday from a Monday hatch... they are now a week and a day old, I had one loss this week but that may have been pre-existing or from a fall...as they added one so I still have 10 that I paid for.

I got the grow gel, too. They came in when it was below zero out and they were fine.

I bought my previous ducks from a local place at 3.5 weeks. It was a bit of a mistake. By that time they disliked humans and had other issues...they were healthy but finaky. Sometimes Tractor Supply has good ducks (mostly Campbells) but not all the breeds you want.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom