Where to put Nesting Boxes for Free Range birds

Beni

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
Hello! I have 11 birds that will start laying soon. I plan to put four nesting boxes in their coop (a converted horse stall) but was wondering if I also needed boxes or specified areas for them to lay out in the run or the pasture?? They free range all day - they have access to the run and the coop but spend most of their time in the pasture or other horse stalls. Will they return to the coop boxes to lay or just lay wherever they happen to be??

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BYC!

You don't need nest boxes in the run or the pasture, but you may have to lock them up until they get used to laying in the nest boxes. Putting ceramic eggs or ping pong balls in the nest boxes may encourage them to use them.

Welcome to BYC!

You may well have to 'train' them to use the coop nests by confining them to the coop and run when they start laying. Maybe start confining them off and on to get them used to being confined to reduce the stress. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests will help.

Thank you both very much! I was stressed out thinking i'd have to search the pasture for stray eggs :) I expect them to start laying anytime so I'll begin to gradually confine them - they get testy with each other when there is less room to roam. Appreciate your help!

One more question: In your experience, if they are confined to the coop & run, how long might it take to get them trained to use the boxes?

You definitely want the eggs in the coop!!! When mine free range, they always go back to the coop nest boxes. Once they get established laying in the nest box, they will keep going back to that site to lay. So yes, follow the above advice and make sure their first eggs are laid in the coop!

One more question: In your experience, if they are confined to the coop & run, how long might it take to get them trained to use the boxes?
Wwweeeelll...it depends.
Like many chicken issues you'll have to play it by ear and eye, be flexible and ready to adjust things to modify their behaviors. Chickens are creatures of habit, they don't like change much but will get used to things set up the way you want them, if you give them time to adjust. Don't expect them to adjust quickly, takes at least a few days to a week.

Once a couple of them start laying in the coop nests regularly, the rest will most likely follow suit. But new layers can be quite goofy acting, they don't know what they are doing at first and can be confused and anxious, it can take up to a month or so before they get it all figured out. Putting some fake eggs or golf balls in the nest might help show them where to lay. They may scratch around in the nests for weeks before laying, spreading the bedding everywhere. They will scratch around a bit less in nest as they get used to the routine. Meanwhile, eggs everywhere, some of them can be rather funky looking, soft or thin shelled, huge double yolked eggs

Thanks again! This has been a big experiment but so far so good... really appreciate all the help!

Back
Top Bottom