Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning?

I was at Bartow Middle School in Florida. Only on the job for a few weeks and the morning routine was to watch the news for a few minutes. They were showing video of the 1st plane hitting the towers and thought,"What a terrible accident." Then the second one hit and knew, it was not an accident!

Getting dressed to go hay cows, watching news, stunned silence and breaking heart. Fell on my knees in prayer on that old ranch house kitchen floor. I will never forget that moment.

I was also in the exact same spot cooking when I heard the space shuttle sonic boom when it exploded and rained debris all over East Texas. Unbelievable sadness of that day.

We were in the Catskills preparing to take a train trip into Canada with my childhood best friend and his wife when his son came running in with the news. His news was followed by a call from our son saying, "You are not getting into Canada. The border has been closed because of --->". We spent the day watching television and crying.

I was in 10th grade, I was around for the second plane to hit but then I had to get on the bus to go to school. School was weird, somber mood across majority with a few kids laughing it off, I'm sure they didn't understand the severity at the time. I remember one girl crying her eyes out and not knowing what was going on, her dad was on a plane to New York, almost certainly he wasn't on one of the planes that hit but she was a kid and was panicking. I just remember the confusion, no attack like that had ever happened in any of our lives, all aged 14-18. Everyone was confused, in a haze, even the teachers couldn't focus on the subject manner, they were as upset and confused as anyone else. Will certainly be one of those days where I'll remember every detail.

Quote:
I remember that day too. I was in a haz-mat class all morning at the county commission room with 30 or so other firemen an police. Someone got a call telling us what happened so we took a break so people could fan out across the city to lower there flags.

Oklahoma city I was in high school walking from one class to another when I got pulled in to a class room where people were gathered watching it on TV.

I also remember being home watching the Challenger explode too but I was 9 or 10 at the time.

I was working swing shift for a local hospital, so I was still in bed that morning. My phone rang, and it was a friend of mine. He asked me what I was doing, and I sarcastically said, "What do you THINK I'm doing? What time is it anyway?" (It was around 7:00 a.m. here on the West Coast at the time.) He said, "Get up and turn on the TV. The World Trade Center got hit." I turned on the TV just in time to see the second plane hit. I remember thinking that I had to be dreaming this whole thing, and as it unfolded and I woke up more, it was obvious that the nightmare was real.

I was on vacation from work, my first "real" job. It was early morning on the west coast. For some reason, I turned on the tv to flip around, which I never do in the morning. Saw the second plane hit, and every channel was broadcasting this horrific event. I sat alone in my bedroom in shock for hours. I had to be alone, to process what this meant for me, my loved ones, the world.

Last edited:
I was on my way to work when it started. Me and my coworker sat in the backroom most of the day listening to the radio. I worked at a pet store at the mall at that time, and it was really quiet that day. Quite a few of the stores had to close for a few days, since their computer systems were based out of NY and no longer working.

Back
Top Bottom