which bird has made the most money for you?

rinmpit

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 23, 2010
which bird has made the most money for you, and how much. was it chicken, quail(say type), pheasent, grouse, chuckers, etc.

not really huge "profit" per se, but my golden comets are laying machines, sometimes giving me 2 eggs a day each. I used to have more of them, but as far as eggs go, I sell more of theirs than any other. Being hybrids, they dont get broody, so no lack of production there, they are not bothered by heat,cold, dark, molting, etc. All the things that tend to make chickens egg production drop. Mine laid an egg or 2 every day all winter long, no heat, no lights, nothing. They kept on trucking when they went into their last molt, never had a drop in egg laying for any reason from them. I get 4-5 eggs/day from my 6 aussies, and on average 3 eggs/day from 2 comets. So from egg selling perspective, I vote comets. Im not getting rich off them by any means, but they hold their own as far as paying for their own food goes.

any way, by butchering, selling, or collecting eggs. do quail do well when it comes to that?

Quote:
I haven't done quail myself, but if anything I'd say hatching eggs, or selling started birds (keeping in mind that it's all seasonal - I made a pretty good $ amount selling hatching eggs and chicks EARLY in the year, but things have REALLY tapered off, so if I did the math, I'd still be in the hole)...
Oh, and I don't know about rules where you live, but HERE, to sell butchered birds, you have to have a seperate, concrete building, complete with plumbing, and have regular usda inspections...SO not worth it...

Last edited:
On here, and on Craigslist, and on my website.
wink.png

My biggest money maker are the ducklings from a wild flying mallard hen. I've sold 18 mallard ducklings @$2 each so far, and I know she doesn't eat anywhere near $36 in food per year, and that includes allocating the food costs from a mallard drake.

Back
Top Bottom