Not open for further replies.

PBGGG

Songster
6 Years
Jun 17, 2013
Maine
Post deleted at the request of PBGGG, the OP

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god, I forgot. Blu has a missing spike on her comb, and she currently has scaly legs that are beginning to go away.

Since one is a mutt & the other a Production Red neither belong in a show. I can see I was right. This forum is no different than the rest of BYC.

Since one is a mutt & the other a Production Red neither belong in a show. I can see I was right. This forum is no different than the rest of BYC.

NYReds: What is different is that you did take the time to look, and point out the issue, which can help people new to showing learn what they need to look for in a chicken. A lot of new chicken owners don't have access to knowledgeable poultry mentors. BYC is it. We will get a lot more people interested in breeding to standard if we mentor the ones who express an interest in showing poultry. Even if it does seem like an overwhelmingly lost cause at times. I feel your pain.

PBGGG: Check out the Heritage RI Red thread, for lots of discussion of standard-bred rhode island reds and photos of what you should be looking for in a chicken. Standard-bred Rhode Island Reds look nothing like the typical production, hatchery quality red, which is what you have.

Heritage Rhode Island Red thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/407294/the-heritage-rhode-island-red-site

I know you said you were entering in showmanship, but it would help if your chickens were bred to some kind of standard if you are planning to show them in any capacity. People need to see what good quality birds look like, and when shows are full of hatchery quality birds that are not bred to standard people don't develop an "eye" for a good bird because there are so few standard-bred birds on display. NYReds is a poultry judge. He gets frustrated. But he's right - you have a mutt and a production red, and neither belongs in a show.

When you go to the show, find the people whose birds are on championship row and talk to them. You will learn a lot. And you may find someone local to help you find good quality standard-bred birds that you can show with pride. Good luck.

i've never showed poultry just rabbits when i was younger so i wouldn't know which one. I don't see why she couldn''t show a mutt chicken in a showmanship class. At least by going the op is going to see what judges are looking for in both birds and handling.

Ok thanks guys. This is just a fair, it isn't a fancy show.

I also have a SLW and a Buff Orpington, but I think I might just buy a show bird.

And this is my first time showing. I asked this question so I would know what to do.

I'm actually going to maybe get two white silkies tomorrow to show, since Blu isn't that used to handling, and Finn wont be good in a cage most likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks guys. This is just a fair, it isn't a fancy show.

I also have a SLW and a Buff Orpington, but I think I might just buy a show bird.

And this is my first time showing. I asked this question so I would know what to do.

Buying a bird just to show it, even in a small show, is not really the point. An exhibition of poultry kept and bred is not unlike an art show or piano recital. It is to not only display the birds to those attending, showing them birds of quality they are not used to seeing, but also to get an evaluation of one's breeding projects. A breeder who wishes to have his/her work judged by a licensed poultry judge and chat with others in the fancy. This offers the breeder feedback.

These are the truer purpose of exhibiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom