Which Breed is best?

dkissler

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
Hi All,
I am moving to Idaho where the temperatures range from 110 degrees in the summer time to 10 degrees in the winter. Which breed of bird(s) can acclimate to both extremes? I definitely don't want to lose any birds to weather related issues - I would feel horrible. Thanks for your help and advice.

Hi All,
I am moving to Idaho where the temperatures range from 110 degrees in the summer time to 10 degrees in the winter. Which breed of bird(s) can acclimate to both extremes? I definitely don't want to lose any birds to weather related issues - I would feel horrible. Thanks for your help and advice.

Hello and welcome to the Gem State! What part of the state are you in? I live in the Boise area and have RIR's, Auracana's and Barred Rocks. They all did quite well last summer and over the harsh winter. RIR's seem to be popular in the area as I see some in nearly every flock. We also just added a Wyondotte, Black Sexlink and Golden Sexlink. If you're in this area, check out Dunlap Hatchery. Post pix when you bring the girls home!

I am in Alabama and have temperature within the same range. We call our weather Bipolar since it can change from week to week. I can tell you that my Polish are not a breed I would recommend as they aren't great in cold. All the other breeds I have are both cold and hot. I have a mixed flock of about 40 with FBCM, Cuckoo, Splash and Blue Copper Marans, Orpingtons, EE, Golden Campine, Pencil Rock, Olive-Egger, Amber Sex-Link, Andalusian, Polish and Welsummers. The Marans, are heavier and to combat the heat I do provide them a fan and access to cold fresh water when the temps start to climb and they do fine. If production is what your are after I would go with any of the Rock varieties or Amber Sex-Links. If temperament and color is what you are after I love my mutt Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers and my Welsummers

Back
Top Bottom