which breed of rooster is better for a non aggressive roo?

farmwife76

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 24, 2007
I have about 10 barred-rock and 10 black austrolp hens. I would like to replace my flock with our own eggs. I dont care about pure breeds, I just want calm, even tempered hens. I have had 3 different barred-rock roos (by the hatchery's mistake each time) and they have all turned mean. My children run in terror, I have to carry a bat-no fun.

Wow, I had always heard BR roos were not mean, my neighbor has them and their kids play with them and they run the yard. I have some young BR roos and they are all friendly they run and jump up to me to be picked up when I enter the pen. I sometimes wonder if they know that they are meant for the pot and trying to get to my soft side.

try an astrolorp..

prepare yourself, you are going to get a lot of pros and cons and you will still not have a clear answer..

I will start it off,,
wink.png

I have never had a mean Buff Orpington in 40 years..

good luck.....
fl.gif

My Buff Orpington is a really docile Roo but he will "bluff" to protect his girls. My RIR on the other hand is younger than the buff but he's already showing signs of aggression despite being held ETC.... Try a BO, wouldn't hurt.

Oh, that's tough b/c everyone is going to have a favorite!! And you probably get the good and bad in everything. Our Cuckoo Marans Roos are sweet and gentle despite the fact they are very big. My neighbor has a hatchery Marans and he goes for blood on anyone that comes over. Our Ameraucanas fly up on your wrist and sweet talk you for treats. With young children and their visiting buddies we have to have very friendly birds.

I think any rooster can grow up "mean" if that's what we want to call it. There will be a pecking order and if the roo can be on top - that's where he will be. That pecking order extends to your cats, dogs, the neighborhood squirrels, children, and you. This just seems to be the nature of the bird.

If your children are terrified of roosters, maybe you shouldn't get a roo. Or, the roo should be penned separately and kept to himself.

If you are really set on allowing your hens to set eggs for replacement pullets, there are fertile eggs out there to be purchased.

I don't have a rooster these days. Not because I have reason to fear them but because I have reason to fear my neighbors.
wink.png
Ah well, who cares? He isn't an essential addition to the flock.

Steve

Thanks everybody. I just wont try the BR roo again. I love the hens though, i talk to them, they talk to me. They come and investigate when i bring a new bag of feed in. I dont get to handle them much except when they are chicks, but they know how pretty they are. I tell them all the time. It sounds like i might try an orp.

Yes Brahmas are Gentle but, as a rule Plymonth Rocks are also I would try from a different place you bust have gotton a bad strain!!!

on other hand if you are letting them free range &
kids are running around or trying to catch one!
that is a threat for a Rooster! (we might not think so but he is protecting his girls)

I had to put a couple good roos down for that!!!
Now I only let my bantams out when I have kids in the area! & even then no Roos!

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom