Which breeds are "no-fly"?

Plinky

Chirping
Mar 9, 2016
I'm curious which breeds are incapable of flying over a four foot fence, if any. I know a Leghorn can easily do fly even higher than that and that there are some breeds that aren't supposed to be able to fly very high, but I once saw "feral" chickens (i.e. that just ran around loose, interbreeding and eating whatever was around - no real home) in Key West roosting on a tree branch about 7-8 feet in the air.
Would like to hear folks' practical experience. Thanks.

The bigger breeds are usually the ones that cannot fly. I have black jersey Giants and they can only get about a foot off the ground. I also have Cochins and they are about the same as the Jersey Giant with their ability to fly. Most of the regular size breeds are able to fly, my sex links can go about 6 ft up in the air.

Of mine it seems that the ones that don't fly over are the ones that have had a wing trimmed, or maybe they're just more satisfied with their territory. All 4 of my guineas, a bantam mama hen, my bantam roo will fly over. My fence isn't chicken proof by any means, they just need to look for a spot under. Little ones just walk through the openings in the 2"×4" welded wire (in my goat yard). I've heard the larger breeds like the Buff Orpington can't fly over, but my "Fat Lady" just gets a running start and can make it over. She got a nice wing trim.

My full-sized adult fowl easily fly up to a 5' high roost. I've had full-sized fowl, including a large adult rooster, launch from those 5' high roosts, fly forward about 8', make a 90 degree turn, fly out the coop door, and land in the run. Mine are hatchery quality birds, some Sussex, Ausralorp, Orpington, Ameraucana (from a breeder) and such but mostly mixed from these breeds. I do not feed mine a really high protein diet and mine forage a lot so mine are not "Big" for what they are.

I think size makes a difference. Some Games (relatively small) can fly up 15 feet to tree limbs or barn rafters. The only chick breeds that I know of that can't fly are those with weird feathers, Silkies or Frizzles.

In spite of being able to fly to my 5' high roosts mine do not fly over my 4' high electric netting. It's not because they can't but because they don't want to. I think it helps that I have a fairly large area, avoid long narrow corridors, and keep my corners flatter than 90 degrees.

I have Buff Orpington’s, Speckled Sussex and an Easter Egger.
I often see the Easter Egger and the Speckled Sussex fly up 6-8 feet into my trees but they have never attempted to fly over my 5 foot fence. I think it’s more about them having an area they want to be in than the height of the fence preventing them from getting out.

Back
Top Bottom