Which breeds do best with double mating systems?

I breed black, blue, and splash silkies so I don't think I have to double mate. I know sq x sq isn't always sq offspring. About 10% of the offspring are sq.

This is primarily to achieve the desired color/markings for each respective sex, correct? Do you also double-mate for type or other features?

I guess, using Delawares as an example (and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the males are supposed to have barred tail-feathers where the females are supposed to have black tail feathers laced with white. My pullet breeding cockerel would have darker tail feathers that would not make him a good candidate for being shown, or being the sire of sq cokerels, but would make him an excellent candidate for siring a pen for sq pullets.

And I think it's ridiculous! LOL

I really dont think you need to double mate on varieties such as BBS. There is really no pattern to perfect unless you are going for a really well laced blue. But I have notice you get those good blues from a Black x Splash mating. But solid patterns like Black, White, Lavender, ect. I don't think you would have to double breed would you?

I realize this is an old thread, but could we start this conversation again with regards to silver pencilled wyandottes?
I understand the idea of double breeding sort of.
So if you started with only one pair of birds, say the silver pencilled... what would you do? hatch as many chicks as possible and then start to double breed in the second or third year?
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom