Which broody do I move?

Jrose

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2013
Well. I have a turkey hen and a muscovy hen 'trying' to share the same nest of 20~ eggs. It was supposed to be 12 eggs under the turkey but the muscovy decided to mix things up a bit. Though the egg count is going up, there's also evidence of broken eggs and it's just getting crazy. My turkey *might* move, but I doubt it. She *was* sitting a nest in another nest box, but the one she's in now is her favorite and she already hatched a clutch in there this year. She defected from her new nest into this box recently so I just let her settle in. How difficult are moscovys about moving? Tips for moving a hen without breaking her or breaking eggs? Thanks!

Wow, this is one I have not come across before!!

Hmmm, I know @Miss Lydia has Muscovies, but not turkeys. Maybe @sourland who is a Broody Magician can help out.

I have moved my Muscovy females after they have gone broody I can only tell you my experience since all ducks are different but i have never had one get off the nest once they go into the full out broody. I use a box or basket to take out the eggs lined with a towel then I place the broody into a small dog carrier. I use a shovel and remove as much of the nesting material as possible don't know if you can do this since there will be a Turkey and eggs still there. But I place the nesting material on top of existing shaving in side a stall that has a door. then I take the eggs and mama and place the eggs in the nest then put the broody inside close the door and leave her alone for the day. She usually climbs on the nest of eggs and settles right down. I have also moved once hatch begins too, after 1 duckling has hatched I do the above. I have read others have tried to move and it hasn't worked so you'll have to decide but if you can wait till hatch starts that maybe the most ideal time since she will be fully occupied with those ducklings and hatching. I try to give my mamas and ducklings as much privacy as possible so the other flock members can't disturb them.

Thanks for the input!

Tonight's the night I have to try something.

I now have 2 broody muscovies terrorizing each other, both want the turkey's nest. There's another clutch of 15 eggs in the nest box immediately next to it. They seem to keep getting confused/indecisive? They've pulled feathers and lined this other nest, but keep trying to kick the turkey out of hers.

I'm going to 'try' to move my turkey. Luckily she's imprinted on me and I can handle her with ease. She 'usually' won't re-settle a nest, but I've put an old cabinet up in the run, it used to be her favorite brooding box. Plus, it has a drawer, so if I need to move her again I can cover with a towel and pull the whole drawer out. I've got a turkey eggs I'd rather her sit on so the ducks can raise their ducklings and make sure they're good and waxed. The irrigation ditches will be flowing when the babes hatch, and I've been warned the ducklings will sink without mama's water-proof grease!

I'm hesitant to move the muscovies since they haven't really dedicated and they're not tame in the slightest. If I can move the turkey, I can pen the muscovies in separate nest boxes for a day. Hopefully they won't keep fighting over the nests? I've heard some muscovies will take over other nests and even run another mama off her chicks and steal the chicks! If this is a trend I might just kick both of them out of the coop when they've dedicated and let them brood and hatch away from my other broodies.

barnie.gif

Thanks for the input!

Tonight's the night I have to try something.

I now have 2 broody muscovies terrorizing each other, both want the turkey's nest. There's another clutch of 15 eggs in the nest box immediately next to it. They seem to keep getting confused/indecisive? They've pulled feathers and lined this other nest, but keep trying to kick the turkey out of hers.

I'm going to 'try' to move my turkey. Luckily she's imprinted on me and I can handle her with ease. She 'usually' won't re-settle a nest, but I've put an old cabinet up in the run, it used to be her favorite brooding box. Plus, it has a drawer, so if I need to move her again I can cover with a towel and pull the whole drawer out. I've got a turkey eggs I'd rather her sit on so the ducks can raise their ducklings and make sure they're good and waxed. The irrigation ditches will be flowing when the babes hatch, and I've been warned the ducklings will sink without mama's water-proof grease!

I'm hesitant to move the muscovies since they haven't really dedicated and they're not tame in the slightest. If I can move the turkey, I can pen the muscovies in separate nest boxes for a day. Hopefully they won't keep fighting over the nests? I've heard some muscovies will take over other nests and even run another mama off her chicks and steal the chicks! If this is a trend I might just kick both of them out of the coop when they've dedicated and let them brood and hatch away from my other broodies.

barnie.gif
So far I haven't had any of my Scovy's try to take anothers nest they know that will not go over well. I have 2 Scovy's brooding now each in their own space in different houses that is one thing I know they like their privacy. I hope it works for you to move your turkey. Keep us updated.

UPDATE:
Well, I moved the turkey onto a new nest of turkey eggs last night. She stayed put through the night but defected to the old duck nest today while mama was off and about. I put her back in the new nest right away and she stayed put through the day and tonight she's still there. I've seen her defect half way through a hatch though, I'll be watching.

The ducks have also been scrapping over nests and switching nests. They spent all day chasing each other around the yard sqeeking angrily. Not to mention the chickens keep adding eggs to both nests. So tonight I busted out the rabbit cages and caged-off the front of their nest boxes. I had to move one duck, but I think the move went well. The cages just wouldn't fit side by side. So the ducks can leave the nest into their own respective 18"x30" cage, poop, paddle in a weighted 1 quart dish of water, eat, and... stay put. That's the hope at least. And this should keep the turkey from defecting to the duck nests!

fl.gif

So... the adventure tonight was absolutely disgusting. Do ducks secrete a foul oil like some other animals do? Cause I picked that mama duck up and she squirted the nastiest goo I've ever smelled all over me. I CANT get the smell out of my hands!
sickbyc.gif
She also pooped as I carried her to her new nest and it was a nice solid poo, not this slime she smeared all over me. The smell burned my sinuses and the whole coop reeks of it! I never want to move an angry duck again!

UPDATE:
Well, I moved the turkey onto a new nest of turkey eggs last night. She stayed put through the night but defected to the old duck nest today while mama was off and about. I put her back in the new nest right away and she stayed put through the day and tonight she's still there. I've seen her defect half way through a hatch though, I'll be watching.

The ducks have also been scrapping over nests and switching nests. They spent all day chasing each other around the yard sqeeking angrily. Not to mention the chickens keep adding eggs to both nests. So tonight I busted out the rabbit cages and caged-off the front of their nest boxes. I had to move one duck, but I think the move went well. The cages just wouldn't fit side by side. So the ducks can leave the nest into their own respective 18"x30" cage, poop, paddle in a weighted 1 quart dish of water, eat, and... stay put. That's the hope at least. And this should keep the turkey from defecting to the duck nests!

fl.gif

So... the adventure tonight was absolutely disgusting. Do ducks secrete a foul oil like some other animals do? Cause I picked that mama duck up and she squirted the nastiest goo I've ever smelled all over me. I CANT get the smell out of my hands!
sickbyc.gif
She also pooped as I carried her to her new nest and it was a nice solid poo, not this slime she smeared all over me. The smell burned my sinuses and the whole coop reeks of it! I never want to move an angry duck again!
What she did is called broody poop and yes it is nasty and smells horrid. I have had it happen to me many times so now if I have to pick up a broody her butt is facing away from me.

I hope all goes well now that you have them all sorted.

What she did is called broody poop and yes it is nasty and smells horrid. I have had it happen to me many times so now if I have to pick up a broody her butt is facing away from me.

I hope all goes well now that you have them all sorted.

Dude. Never again. That was AWEFUL. Turkeys and chickens sure don't do that!
hide.gif
I had read that Muscovy broody poos were 'to be avoided at all costs' but I never imagined THIS is what it would be like!

Her butt *was* facing away from me, but she decided to drop the bomb and proceed to smear it everywhere thrashing wildly. Ergh!

The hens aren't happy today to be locked away, but I guess they can just deal with it :p Both turkey broodies (two now, yes) are contentedly staying in their respective nests. So far so good. Maybe in a few days I'll move the rabbit cages- you know- so they don't kill the other birds with those sludge stink bomb broody poos piling up in the cage!

Dude. Never again. That was AWEFUL. Turkeys and chickens sure don't do that!
hide.gif
I had read that Muscovy broody poos were 'to be avoided at all costs' but I never imagined THIS is what it would be like!

Her butt *was* facing away from me, but she decided to drop the bomb and proceed to smear it everywhere thrashing wildly. Ergh!

The hens aren't happy today to be locked away, but I guess they can just deal with it :p Both turkey broodies (two now, yes) are contentedly staying in their respective nests. So far so good. Maybe in a few days I'll move the rabbit cages- you know- so they don't kill the other birds with those sludge stink bomb broody poos piling up in the cage!
I thought one time I was going to have to throw my tennis shoes away one of mine got me so good. Thankfully after taking the hose to them and washing in the washer [leather] They came clean and And I was walking behind this duck not holding her. could wear them again. I have learned to walk far behind too.
Oh I know at least my chickens don't let go of those stink bombs but you know Ducks in the wild probably have this mechanism to keep predators at bay. I think if I was a predator and had a duck shoot that nasty stuff all over me I'd lose my appetite pretty fast.

Yay for Turkeys your going to have lots of babies running around pretty soon. How long for Turkeys?

Back
Top Bottom