• Hen #2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
I have two broody hens that have been sitting on the same clutch. I cant decide which to let raise the babies.

Hen #1 has been broody for close to two months now.
Hen #2 has only been broody for..two to three weeks now?
Hen #1 I do not want to keep. I plan on getting rid of her later. If shes the one I let raise the chicks.
Hen #2 Is the one I will be keeping. No matter what.
Hen #1 Anytime I get near her, even 5 or 6 feet away, she starts fluffing up and sqwacking at me.
Hen #2 Only does that when I get right next to her. And I have to get close. Like within a foot of her.

Which one would you let raise the chicks? I have 10 eggs due Sunday. I think 3 or 4 of them are duds though.
hmm.png

I think either one would work but maybe #2 because if she turns out to be a good mom you can let her hatch chicks in the future. Also if she doesn't freak out so much around you, you have more of a chance of her letting you interact and check on the chicks.

Depending on how big the clutch is, what if you gave half the clutch to one hen and half to the other.

This may sound silly, but I didnt know if her tendency to fluff up and be more 'aware' of her surroundings, that maybe she would make a better mommy. I never even thought about the other, being able to peek in on them. Well there is only 10 eggs. The last time I let two broodys raise chicks at the same time they killed each others babies. They both had two chicks, but for whatever reason, would kill the others babies. Those two hens are not the ones Im using this time.

If that was the case with other chickens you've had, you best not make that mistake again. I hadn't even thought of that. Well we both learned from eachother
smile.png

I still think #2. Good Luck! Have fun with your new chicks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom