Which Hatchery has best heritage RIR's ?

pascopol

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Tampa Bay
I have trouble locating a breeder of dark mahogany RIR's which have RETAINED proper egg production for this breed.

Seems that those bred for show lost their egglaing capability od "real" RIR's.

I do not care about winning prizes on shows, I want dark mahogany RIR which will lay no less than 250 eggs a year.

And their eggs shells should be darker shade of brown, not those lame light browns.

Are those completly extinc?

So I am willing to take a chance with hatchery birds.

Which hatchery has the best RIR's anybodys opinion?

I don't think there is such a thing, Because proper egg production is probably not 250 eggs a year & not many hatcheries have real RIRs.
good luck finding some, you'll need it.

Original RIR's produced about 250-275 eggs ayear according to historical sources.

So 250 eggs a year sounds "proper" and I'd settle for it.

There is a fella in Danville, Arkansas that raises the really dark RIR's. You might post on the Arkansas site and see what you come up with. I have seen his advertizing at different times locally and ran into him at the chicken swap once.

Maybe that will help.

I highly doubt you are going to find a hatchery that is going to have Real Rhode Island Reds.
Most if not all Rhode Island Reds from hatcheries are a Production Red that were bred for egg laying ability and not for color or type.
I will also say that since hatcheries do not breed to the SOP (Standard of Perfection) they can not be "Heritage".

Now if you are looking for Real Reds and not a hatchery "Rhode Island" there more than a few breeders that have Reds and you may want to start at the Rhode Island Red Club and Show bird bid pro boards.
http://www.showbirdbid.com/joomla/redclub/
http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=redforum

Chris

I know of a new hathery that has just opened this year that is "supposed" to have heritage breeds. I haven't ordered from him, but have heard good things about him. I'll see if I can find the link for you, maybe you can call and talk to them about the egg production of the birds they carry.

I don't know of anyone who has the kind of birds that you are asking about with more than about a 200 egg per year average, but they could be some out there. Our hatchery RIRs lay 250 +.

Let me see if I can find that link for you.

Quote:
Which "historical sources"?

Chris

Yes, please. dual purpose birds will not lay as well as hatchery and smaller breeds. And the real RIR is a dual purpose breed.

Quote:
Look this stuff up. This is just what I've read. I could be wrong. I don't have all the facts. But this may help you in your honorable and valuable quest. My best to you. And please let us know what you find because many would like a true heritage RIR that would lay 250 eggs a year.

Search this web site for the word: blosl. That is the last name of a TOP heritage RIR breeder of brick shaped original heritage RIRs. He said he couldn't get his TOP heritage original birds to lay more than 180 a year and he tried. He wrote on his web site or here on BackyardChickens.com that some heritage RIRs in the old time egg laying contests were crossbred with brown leghorns (secretly) and that's when RIRs went up to 250 eggs a year. This was sometime around the 40's, I think maybe.

If all else fails, you could probably buy some of Blosl's deep mahogany brick shaped birds (as hatching eggs) and breed them with production red birds from a hatchery and get something close to what you want in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom