Gasthaus Luther

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2021
I have a Welsummer and a Russian Orloff. They are both 6 months old. The Welsummer is social and is fun to have but she’s very feisty and has been pecking at the Russian Orloff to the point of the Orloff having no more fathers around her neck and we saw blood for the first time, which is what made us realize that her missing fathers were from being attacked. 😢 We have now separated them and are trying to decide whick one we keep and which one we give away. They both lay eggs everyday. We fear that if we keep the Welsummer that she’ll do the same thing to another pullet or hen. Plus it seems like it will be easier to find a hen a good home if it is healthy.
Our thoughts right now are to re-home the Welsummer and get a docile, friendly hen to replace her like a Buff Orpington. Thoughts?
Thank you!

Thank you! We only have 2. Our poor Orloff doesn’t even look like an Orloff anymore. We initially took her to the vet about 2-3 months ago thinking maybe it was mites. They are our first hens and we only have the two. We never saw the Welsummer picking on the Orloff until Sunday when we saw blood and then saw the the Welsummer pecking. We felt so bad and got them separated stat! I looked up pecking and it mentioned that once there’s blood it can become cannibalism and the pecking becomes more aggressive and frequent. That’s why I think we finally were able to see that we had a bully on our hands.

Thank you! We only have 2. Our poor Orloff doesn’t even look like an Orloff anymore. We initially took her to the vet about 2-3 months ago thinking maybe it was mites. They are our first hens and we only have the two. We never saw the Welsummer picking on the Orloff until Sunday when we saw blood and then saw the the Welsummer pecking. We felt so bad and got them separated stat! I looked up pecking and it mentioned that once there’s blood it can become cannibalism and the pecking becomes more aggressive and frequent. That’s why I think we finally were able to see that we had a bully on our hands.
How much space do they have? Is it possible she might be bored? I know the feather pecking can be worse when they have less to do? Do they free range? My Welsummer was a really busy girl and NEVER sat still—always foraging! My Orloff is much more mellow and chill. Perhaps you would do well getting a less busy breed like an Orp or Marans? I have a flock that’s dominated by Orps, Marans, Wyandottes, and Ameraucanas and they are all pretty content with their space, their flock friends, and lounging :-D The Faverolle and Orloff fit in great! :)

Back
Top Bottom