Which is easier?

Pics

Gdurham

Chirping
May 1, 2020
Southeastern NYS
Hi everyone! I’m new here. I’ve always wanted chickens and now that we moved into our own home and aren’t renting, we can! I’m handy, but not fantastic and we don’t have a car large enough to bring home sheets of plywood, so what’s the easiest coop design to make or would it be easier to convert a plastic doghouse? I’m planning on having three favorelles. I can have Home Depot cut 2x4 and 2x2; it’s the plywood that overwhelms me. But in the end, if it’ll cost the same in the end as eglu, do I just go that route?

I've looked at the eglu coops. They are cute. However, they do not hold many chickens. The largest coop that I saw was not really adequate for 2 chickens even though the company said it was good for 10. The run looks flimsy to me. The apron does not appear wide enough to work well.

A chicken needs about 4 square feet of area per chicken inside the coop not counting the nesting box. They should have about 10 square feet per chicken in the run. Having less than this space may lead to stress in the flock and pecking each other.

Have you considered buying a shed and converting it to a coop? You would just have to add ventilation, pop door, and roosts to make that work. Might be cheaper than the eglu. You might even be able to find a used shed to convert.

I was lucky when building my coop. Neighbor is a retired builder. He also owned a dog that was known to kill chickens. To avoid any problems he volunteered to do the building. You might want to talk to your neighbors. One might help you in return for some fresh eggs later.

I know you are looking at keeping just a few birds but.....I also think a shed would be the way to go.

Walk in is so much easier on your back and it keeps you dry too when you have to tend them in bad weather.

If you can find a used shed you may be able to get a towing company to move it for you.

If you want to build and need larger lumber, siding, plywood Home Depot has trucks they rent out.

Think about your weather before you settle for a tiny or raised coop.

Hmm, ok. Let me think some more. I’m hesitant to rent their trucks right now with the pandemic. I’m in NYS and it’s a hotbed up here. Does anyone know if Home Depot will cut plywood to size too? Then it might fit in my car. I searched the forums here for an easy plan, but all seem overwhelming.

Hmm, ok. Let me think some more. I’m hesitant to rent their trucks right now with the pandemic. I’m in NYS and it’s a hotbed up here. Does anyone know if Home Depot will cut plywood to size too? Then it might fit in my car. I searched the forums here for an easy plan, but all seem overwhelming.
Where in NY? I'm about 5 miles north of the PA border.
I also strongly recommend converting part of a shed. For three girls you wouldn't need to convert all of it. Do you have anything on your property that might work? If you are going to be building a walk in coop, you wouldn't need to rip the plywood as you'd need full size sheets. You can also have your order delivered to your house, but again, you'd have to know what you needed. Do you have any power tools or access to them?
Have you checked CL for used sheds? I literally got a used 8x8 shed for the price of a carton of eggs.

I am not sure a shed or building your own would be a good start for someone only wants to get started with a couple of chickens, in a backyard setting, to see if they like it.

We are all assuming they will like it because we all do!! :D But let's be honest, chickens aren't for everyone or everyone would be doing it!

Here is my 1 cent (I lost the other sense a long time ago!)...

- Working with wood, saws, and building things is intimidating to someone who has never done it and doesn't have anyone to show them how. So I don't recommend jumping into a build on your own unless you are prepared

- Plastic has some big advantages such as ease of cleaning, lightweight, etc. The big downside, it's a lot more difficult to improve or add on to later, and once it deteriorates it's toast.

- If you cannot cut wood, have no tools, and no means to get wood home. I do not recommend building a coop, even a small one. It's not as easy as youtube makes it out to be!

- What you posted would work to get started in my opinion. You would want to make sure to predator proof it, so nothing could lift it, etc.

- For 3 birds, most of the large (or xlarge) prefab coops will work. You will be maxing them out though, even if the prefab coop says it holds 6 or 10, it will only really hold 3-4. The advantage to a prefab coop is, it's delivered in a box with all wood pre-cut, all parts there, directions included. Most grade schoolers can put one together (I can attest that I completed one without much issue!). The downside is the cost, they can be hit or miss on quality (seems like a lot of miss), and if you want to expand your flock, you can't without building another, expanding that one, or putting in a lot of work one way or another.

- Doghouse + dog run enclosure + bird netting (the same thing as the links you've posted) = likely the cheapest, easiest option. Seems like people are always giving away dog houses for free.

- I believe the best option, a lot of times, is to build your own or turn a shed into a coop, but in this case I'm not convinced.

If you look around here at coop pics you will see everything from the nicest Chick Majal to the ghetto-fabulous-est of conglomerations. In they end, the need to be dry, draft free, and safe from predators, that's what matters :)

Good luck, keep us updated on your progress!

Back
Top Bottom