Which kind of a coop to build? easier for cleaning and access?

Shandina

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 25, 2017
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am stuck on which kind of a coop to build. I live in Canada so we have all different kinds of weather so I am thinking about cleaning in the winter and doing daily chores which style would be easier? The lifted up style would be cheaper to build, be at your level to just reach in to clean and take up less room since they could go underneath in the run. The shed style be nice to be able to go inside to feed and do cleaning in the winter probably. Anyways which do you prefer and pros and cons of each? I am starting with 4 silkies and I have going to hatch some so in total I don't want more than 10 silkies. We were thinking of building a coop 4x8 for them maybe. Could you do the deep liter method in the lifted up coop still? I have attached some example coops to give you an idea. of what styles I am talking about. With both I would build a walk in run, because I like to spend time in there with them!

Attachments

• IMG_5846.jpg
    IMG_5846.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1efd9687106d961631fa204a50b3b069.jpg
    1efd9687106d961631fa204a50b3b069.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 9
How cold do you get? Those raised off the ground can be colder. If you get lots of snow your chickens, especially silkies will stay inside for a good part of it. You need enough room for them to move and scratch around all winter. I personally always prefer a coop you can walk into and move around in. Bigger is always better. If you like chickens you will want more. Adding more birds to a tiny cramped coop is near impossible.

I have a garden shed with secure run attached ..Raised floor and fully insulated..Coop is 8x12 so is run. The more space the better.I also raise my Chicks with Momma after 3 to 5 days old with the Flock..I'm in Canada also..I heat my Coop. It is never too warm as my water does ice over but it sure is not -28C...

Back
Top Bottom