Which of my silver laces are most showable. Please judge

Tiana's chickens

Songster
Dec 7, 2017
I have 4 silver laced Wyandotte pullets. I can only keep 2 so I'd like to keep the ones that are best quality.
I understand that probably none of them are really show quality but I'd just like to know which look most showable and best to breed based on what all the experts can see :)
They are 15 weeks old so still have some developing to do but I have to make my decision soon due to overcrowding

IMG_2546.JPG IMG_2548.JPG IMG_2552.JPG IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2556.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG IMG_2560.JPG IMG_2564.JPG IMG_2567.JPG IMG_2574.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2580.JPG IMG_2582.JPG IMG_2584.JPG IMG_2592.JPG This one isn't very tame

IMG_2594.JPG IMG_2597.JPG IMG_2598.JPG IMG_2600.JPG IMG_2603.JPG IMG_2606.JPG IMG_2607.JPG This one had a very full crop when I took the photos

Attachments

• IMG_2558.JPG
    IMG_2558.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2578.JPG
    IMG_2578.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2593.JPG
    IMG_2593.JPG
    295.7 KB · Views: 30
Hello. I see none of the more knowledgable breeders of this beautiful variety of wyandottes has commented on your post yet so will give you my opinion of the best ones. I am by no means an expert on this variety but I have looked into getting some quality ones in the past and may in the future. So I do know a bit about them.

I would recommend culling #1now as she is a narrow bodied bird with a narrow head and narrow between the legs and looks a bit cow hocked though that may improve a bit as she gets older but I doubt if she will get wider. She also has no depth of body. Her lacing is narrow which you can see even more so in the front shot where new feathers are coming in. She most likely will not get much better in any of these areas.

#2 has potential to be a very nice bird. She has good width of body, a nice wide head, and good width between the legs as well as good depth of body. She has good width of the lacing on her feathers which makes her color look darker than the #1 bird. Her feathers are in various stages of coming in yet but they look like the lacing may be pretty good.

#3 is a decent bird though it is hard to tell as she didn't want to pose for the pics. In the first 4 pics she looks a bit narrow and could use some more depth of body and more length in the breast bone but in the last pic of her she looks much better. I would recommend keeping her a bit longer to see how she develops. Her lacing is narrower than #2 and #4 but not as bad as #1. Her lacing looks pretty good in the front shot of her and she looks correct on her legs. Her tail right now doesn't have much lacing and is mostly black and there is a white feather at the bottom of her wing that the others don't have. I'm not familiar enough with the variety to know if these things will correct as she gets older and her adult feathers come in. Maybe some of the more knowledgable breeders could give you a better idea on her.

#4 Looks very nice with a good amount of potential. She has very good width and depth of body, a nice wide head and good width between the legs and looks correct on her legs. Her lacing looks pretty good though she is getting new feathers in various areas which makes it hard to tell but to me she looks like the lacing will be pretty good. Again the more experienced breeders should be able to tell you better on the lacing than I can.

So as you probably have guessed #2 and #4 would be my pics to keep.

Hope this helped you out a bit on who to keep. I look forward to see if some of the experts in this variety comment and to see what they have to say.

Hello. I see none of the more knowledgable breeders of this beautiful variety of wyandottes has commented on your post yet so will give you my opinion of the best ones. I am by no means an expert on this variety but I have looked into getting some quality ones in the past and may in the future. So I do know a bit about them.

I would recommend culling #1now as she is a narrow bodied bird with a narrow head and narrow between the legs and looks a bit cow hocked though that may improve a bit as she gets older but I doubt if she will get wider. She also has no depth of body. Her lacing is narrow which you can see even more so in the front shot where new feathers are coming in. She most likely will not get much better in any of these areas.

#2 has potential to be a very nice bird. She has good width of body, a nice wide head, and good width between the legs as well as good depth of body. She has good width of the lacing on her feathers which makes her color look darker than the #1 bird. Her feathers are in various stages of coming in yet but they look like the lacing may be pretty good.

#3 is a decent bird though it is hard to tell as she didn't want to pose for the pics. In the first 4 pics she looks a bit narrow and could use some more depth of body and more length in the breast bone but in the last pic of her she looks much better. I would recommend keeping her a bit longer to see how she develops. Her lacing is narrower than #2 and #4 but not as bad as #1. Her lacing looks pretty good in the front shot of her and she looks correct on her legs. Her tail right now doesn't have much lacing and is mostly black and there is a white feather at the bottom of her wing that the others don't have. I'm not familiar enough with the variety to know if these things will correct as she gets older and her adult feathers come in. Maybe some of the more knowledgable breeders could give you a better idea on her.

#4 Looks very nice with a good amount of potential. She has very good width and depth of body, a nice wide head and good width between the legs and looks correct on her legs. Her lacing looks pretty good though she is getting new feathers in various areas which makes it hard to tell but to me she looks like the lacing will be pretty good. Again the more experienced breeders should be able to tell you better on the lacing than I can.

Hope this helped you out a bit on who to keep. I look forward to see if some of the experts in this variety comment and to see what they have to say.
Thank you very much for your comment, much appreciated:)
Just as a side note, I was concerned about #2s lack of lacing on the neck. I also a agree with the things you've said about #1, however I don't cull, I just find new homes for them :)
Thank you again for all your time in writing that

Your welcome. As far as culling goes I meant that in a general term. Someone with a hobby flock would be thrilled to have such a pretty bird.

As far as the neck lacing on #2 that may come in later on as she matures more. You should always go for the size and type first. You can always work on the color later on. As the old timers and show breeders say build the barn first then paint it. lol.
I raise Mottled Houdans and I always have to catch myself looking at the color first as that is what attracted me to them. I have to force myself to look at the whole bird first and check the size and type first than I look at the color.

Good luck with them. They are beautiful birds. Hope some more people that raise them give you some more comments on them.:thumbsup

Good post!

haha lol I didnt know that! Before, I thought people were crazy for "culling birds" for no reason :p.
A lot of the time, it does mean what you think it means. In a perfect world, I could keep all of my chickens. In this world, feed's expensive and roosters are meat. But in a breeding context, it often does mean just selling the sub-par breeding stock. Glad to be of help.

Back
Top Bottom