Which of my silver laces are most showable. Please judge

Though I have shown other animals over the years, I've never shown birds, so I'm not an expert on that.

However, in talking with breeders to improve my own flock, I do know that 15 weeks is far too young to make any final determination. Many breeders wait 6 months to a year before they make final decisions. Many birds, especially roosters, don't come into their full feathers until after the first molt!

Hens can be decided sooner, but most hens don't look filled out until 9 month of age, especially a slower maturing breed like the Wyandotte.

I agree that you need to go buy the Wyandotte SOP (or look at the original online here: https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003096413?ui=embed#page/n115/mode/2up ).

Any bird you keep, you want both coloring and body shape as much as possible. At 15 weeks, you simply don't have the correct body shape yet, which is a "gravy bowl." Tail feathers are incomplete as well. They should have the pilgrim Thanksgiving fan, wide at the base and coming into a nice point, if I remember right.

You don't even have full lacing yet either....which should of course be even.

The only thing you could cull at this time with accuracy is if anyone had a single comb (which I noted, no one had), and consider culling any with split wing as that often never corrects and can breed forward. Likewise for improperly formed rose combs.

Then of course cull any unthrifty bird or ill tempered.

So if you have to weed out now, which is unfortunate, I suggest that you visit some websites from Wyandotte farms that are showing top quality birds and see what their pullets look like.

You may be able to glean some things from the Feathersite photos as often they use show quality birds (but not always).

Then, if at all possible, wait as long as possible before deciding who stays and who goes. Another couple of months may make a big difference in conformation. Who looks pretty and petite now may not in a couple of months, the gangly one now may fill into a beauty.

My thoughts.
LofMc

Though I have shown other animals over the years, I've never shown birds, so I'm not an expert on that.

However, in talking with breeders to improve my own flock, I do know that 15 weeks is far too young to make any final determination. Many breeders wait 6 months to a year before they make final decisions. Many birds, especially roosters, don't come into their full feathers until after the first molt!

Hens can be decided sooner, but most hens don't look filled out until 9 month of age, especially a slower maturing breed like the Wyandotte.

I agree that you need to go buy the Wyandotte SOP (or look at the original online here: https://archive.org/stream/cu31924003096413?ui=embed#page/n115/mode/2up ).

Any bird you keep, you want both coloring and body shape as much as possible. At 15 weeks, you simply don't have the correct body shape yet, which is a "gravy bowl." Tail feathers are incomplete as well. They should have the pilgrim Thanksgiving fan, wide at the base and coming into a nice point, if I remember right.

You don't even have full lacing yet either....which should of course be even.

The only thing you could cull at this time with accuracy is if anyone had a single comb (which I noted, no one had), and consider culling any with split wing as that often never corrects and can breed forward. Likewise for improperly formed rose combs.

Then of course cull any unthrifty bird or ill tempered.

So if you have to weed out now, which is unfortunate, I suggest that you visit some websites from Wyandotte farms that are showing top quality birds and see what their pullets look like.

You may be able to glean some things from the Feathersite photos as often they use show quality birds (but not always).

Then, if at all possible, wait as long as possible before deciding who stays and who goes. Another couple of months may make a big difference in conformation. Who looks pretty and petite now may not in a couple of months, the gangly one now may fill into a beauty.

My thoughts.
LofMc
Thank you very much, I'll definitely consider everything you've said. I understand they will change a bit which makes everything so much harder. I hadn't even heard of split wing before so I'll definitely check for that as well. I'm very new to everything so I have a lot to learn! :)

I guess this one, I am mostly here to learn... :pop

The first poster said cull # 1, which was the one I liked! They SOUNDED like they know what they are talking about. :confused:

Truly I have not much idea about this breed. And fairly well agree with everything LofMc said. :thumbsup

I seriously can't believe how much some of my birds changed, and wish I hadn't culled others so early! :barnie

I start with basic standards... skin color, shank color, lobe color, eye color, beak color, feather pattern, no comb sprigs, no split wing, NO attitude, always select for vigor/health... no sick or weaker birds. And lets not forget egg color and laying ability... in addition to body shape and size. Shape is what I'm trying to learn how to read, now that I'm familiar with the other aspects of my chosen breed (Marans) to the point that I can look and things that are off just stand out instantly.

Personally will not likely ever PURCHASE an SOP... with it available on line and having zero storage space for dust and mold to consume everything in its' path. :barnie But it's a good suggestion if you have the cash and space. Chickens is already my most expensive hobby ever! :oops: :)

Pretty girls by the way! :love

Oh ya... I also select for age of lay. Anyone who start super later, 26+ weeks this time of year... has GOT to go. Maybe a little more forgiving if they are maturing in winter.

Also, general growth rate... as Wyandotte are a dual purpose and quite tasty breed. Too slow, late bloomers... not on my watch. I like to know gender early. Even among the same broods from same parents there are differences. For example if I can tell most genders by 6-8 weeks, I would be inclined to not keep a bird who didn't display (especially) male gender until say 12 weeks or so.

But I get the feeling you are just wanting to show the birds you have and not actually breeding for improvement?

Good luck, whichever pretty lady you choose! :D

Oh ya... I also select for age of lay. Anyone who start super later, 26+ weeks this time of year... has GOT to go. Maybe a little more forgiving if they are maturing in winter.

Also, general growth rate... as Wyandotte are a dual purpose and quite tasty breed. Too slow, late bloomers... not on my watch. I like to know gender early. Even among the same broods from same parents there are differences. For example if I can tell most genders by 6-8 weeks, I would be inclined to not keep a bird who didn't display (especially) male gender until say 12 weeks or so.

But I get the feeling you are just wanting to show the birds you have and not actually breeding for improvement?

Good luck, whichever pretty lady you choose! :D
Thank you :) I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them yet, I might breed them but the silver laced cockerel I currently have is showing some bronze on new feathers so if I did breed them I'd probably have to find a different roo, for the moment I'm just looking to keep the nicest ones :)

No clue about show at all but I've always thought this breed was beautiful because of the lacing on there chest which shows best in number 3 the one that's not tame
Cull the rest of them :lau

I've shown quite a few Silver Laced Wyandottes over the years. The biggest thing I always look for in a bird first is the body shape. My ideal bird fits in a circle. I attached these pictures of my black Wyandotte bantam. I don't know if you can quite see but she fits in a circle really well, especially if she'd pose for the camera a little better. If you look up pictures of show winning Wyandottes you can see how well they fit in this body shape. Anyways that's what I have always found to make a winning bird.

Attachments

• 20160320_173120_LI.jpg
    20160320_173120_LI.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20160320_173120.jpg
    20160320_173120.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom