Which of my silver laces are most showable. Please judge

I've shown quite a few Silver Laced Wyandottes over the years. The biggest thing I always look for in a bird first is the body shape. My ideal bird fits in a circle. I attached these pictures of my black Wyandotte bantam. I don't know if you can quite see but she fits in a circle really well, especially if she'd pose for the camera a little better. If you look up pictures of show winning Wyandottes you can see how well they fit in this body shape. Anyways that's what I have always found to make a winning bird.

Hi again. Thank you so much for this comment, it's been incredibly helpful for me with breeding my Wyandottes.

I'm having some troubles with breeding BLR Wyandottes. Where I'm from blue laced red Wyandottes shape is just all wrong, too long in the back and tail. I want to breed to the standard Jerry foley set which I understand may take years, but I'm after some advice on getting the round shape.

I had a crazy idea of maybe adding some show quality blue Australorp in... Sounds like a terrible idea but my reasoning is that the roundness and shortness of the tail in a show quality Australorp could improve the shape of my BLRs a fair bit?

I know that would stuff up a lot of other things and I'd have to breed generations to get everything else right again. I probably wouldn't even consider doing it but I know Jerry foley added some other breeds in to create the amazing Blue laced reds he did. The shape can be so wrong around here I'm feeling a bit desperate

Pic of Jerry foleys Wyandotte compared to best I can get

IMG_0060.jpg

Mine:
IMG_0063.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_0064.PNG
    IMG_0064.PNG
    7 MB · Views: 7
Hi again. Thank you so much for this comment, it's been incredibly helpful for me with breeding my Wyandottes.

I'm having some troubles with breeding BLR Wyandottes. Where I'm from blue laced red Wyandottes shape is just all wrong, too long in the back and tail. I want to breed to the standard Jerry foley set which I understand may take years, but I'm after some advice on getting the round shape.

I had a crazy idea of maybe adding some show quality blue Australorp in... Sounds like a terrible idea but my reasoning is that the roundness and shortness of the tail in a show quality Australorp could improve the shape of my BLRs a fair bit?

I know that would stuff up a lot of other things and I'd have to breed generations to get everything else right again. I probably wouldn't even consider doing it but I know Jerry foley added some other breeds in to create the amazing Blue laced reds he did. The shape can be so wrong around here I'm feeling a bit desperate

Pic of Jerry foleys Wyandotte compared to best I can get

View attachment 1676037

Mine:
View attachment 1676039
Its really funny that you should mention Jerry Foley because the bird pics in my post are of a bantam I got off of him. His birds are absolutely stunning. If I knew how to get them to look like his I would tell you. Sadly I don't. But definatly good luck with trying to get that lovely round shape.

Its really funny that you should mention Jerry Foley because the bird pics in my post are of a bantam I got off of him. His birds are absolutely stunning. If I knew how to get them to look like his I would tell you. Sadly I don't. But definatly good luck with trying to get that lovely round shape.
Oh wow! He's a fantastic breeder
Thank you, much appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom