which of the 2 would be the better choice?

AndysHomestead

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 28, 2012
im wanting to get a small flock when i get my homestead up and running and im wanting to get about 6-8 hens and 1 roo.

the 2 i want to start with is the barred rocks and rir.

im wanting to get 5 b.r. hens and 3 rir hens.

heres where im not so sure. should i get a rir roo or a b.r. roo to go with this flock?

i would love to have some sex link chicks if i got the rir roo (br hens), but from what ive read, they can be a lil more tempermental. would the barred rock roo be a lil calmer? one day down the line, i want to add different types but these are the 2 ive chosen to start of with. any comments are appreciated...

Last edited:
I think you are worrying too much. It is possible you can get a sweet nice rooster of either breed. It is possible you can get a horrible rooster with either breed.

The behavior is more strain related than breed related. I don't know where you are getting them or the bahavior of the parents. If you are getting them from a hatchery, their behavior is pretty random. Most big hatcheries do not use behavior as a criteria when selecting their breeding stock. You might get anything as far as behavior with any of them. If you get them from a breeder that uses behavior as a selection criteria (not all do) you have a better chance of getting one with good behavior, but it is still an individual thing.

I'd suggest just getting the breed you want and see how he is. If his behavior is not acceptable, replace him.

I too, think that you might be over thinking the whole thing. Chickens are chickens.

However, if you have small children around, imho, you should not have a rooster. They can be dangerous, and especially dangerous to small children, and all breeds can produce that type of roosters.

good luck, MrsK

I have RIRs and BRs. I now have a RIR roo only because I lost the BR roo to heat last summer and was ordering RIRs. My problem is I like both breeds equally and it didn't matter what roo I had. They are both Big and beautiful at maturity.

Back
Top Bottom