Which side up?

WhitneyM

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2023
Hello. I have had chickens for 7 years but am new to hatching. I had the eggs in the incubator but had no idea they had to be a certain way up or down. I candles them at day 10 with 9/12 developed. I put them back randomly because I still didn’t know the big end needed to point up. Several of them do not have the big end pointing up. It’s day 14. Should I turn them over or just leave them? Thanks.

I'd turn them over. The purpose of wide side up is so the air cell stays at the right location in the egg for when thy hatch. It is possible some of the air cells have moved but I'd want them in the right position for as long as i could to minimize the chances for problems.

ive messed up and incubated them upside down, some eggs are hard to tell .. every one ive done that on hasnt made it, but doesnt hurt anything to try flippin her over ...

I am so frustrated at myself right now. I flipped them. Sadly, it was most of them. Thank you for your responses!
I'd turn them over. The purpose of wide side up is so the air cell stays at the right location in the egg for when thy hatch. It is possible some of the air cells have moved but I'd want them in the right position for as long as i could to minimize the chances for problems.

Back
Top Bottom