Which states...

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Wanted to ask which states and counties (of said states) are off grid friendly and leave homesteaders alone? And leave you alone?

The hardest part about this is figuring out where you can go without them harassing you, or nailing you with red tape. And then also the hope of places with less or no building code enforcement in rural areas...

Because we need to get away from mortgages. Mortgages literally in the math DO NOT work in an economy this turbulent and that makes you restart a job every few months, or with companies that have no intention of long term providing to employees. Literally they hire you from the start knowingly thinking they intend to end your job in 3 months, or 6 months or maybe a year. That doesn't work for mortgages. The solution seems to be... and the only viable solution; to get away from mortgages; but to do that you need areas friendly to self building.

I suppose this can be tricky also in that some areas may only have certain counties in the state be friendly.

Thank you for any thoughts on this.

In the U.S., you may be able to set up homesteading for a tax credit, but I don't know anywhere in this country you can buy a house and not mortgage it unless you have the ability to pay cash for it.

If you're in a career that is doing that to you, perhaps consider going back to school or a trade school and getting into something more stable?

Are you looking for a place to move to? Back your lens off a bit and start with broader criteria.

Climate. What max/min temperatures are you looking for or comfortable with? Ditto with rainfall. What will suit your plans? Are you going to grow crops? Animals? Both? What have you done in the past in that regard?

For example, I know nothing about fishing. So it would not help me to look for a coastal or lakeside area, thinking I'd make money/supply my family with food via fishing, unless I want to learn a lot about fishing first.

What grows in that climate? Example again: I would LOVE to grow my own olives, tea, avacados, and ginger. Sadly, none of those grow in my climate. If I want them, I have to buy them.

What is the religious/political "climate" like? If you are dyed-in-the-wool one side of the spectrum or the other, and you move to a place that is the opposite, well, you could have some issues with the local population. And, you'll be the newcomer, so you might not be welcome, or given any slack in what you want to do.

Are there any toxic concerns with the water or soil? Not knowing this could get you "the real estate deal of a lifetime!" only to find out that you can't drink your water.

Figure these things out first. There's no point in going to the work of, say, researching building codes, until you have some possible areas to look at.

There are ways of dealing with water. Is that a problem you have? If so, feel free to ask me. I have 10 years gardening. Some of those years I have done several poultry species. So I'm not actually limited in where I can go. I have the tools. You can treat water, and do rainwater harvesting if your ground water is bad. I like to give back so if you run into questions you have also feel free to reach out to me.

But you made a good point in political climate not always being favorable in some areas. That's WHY I posted this. Some places don't like you breaking out on your own.

I don't need to go back to school. I have knowledge to do probably 5 or 6 jobs. But I don't have healthy lungs, so I can't just 'go get another job'. I need to go somewhere where I can get by with making my own stuff, making my own shelter without persecution. I was born with messed up lungs, not of my own decision making. And the current climate is that the US wants to only help migrants and not people born here.

That's why I posted this.

///

Its not possible to know which areas are safer for DIYers without asking this kind of stuff here.

What kind of DIY are you planning to do for a residence? What will you live in while you build? I just googled, "Can I live in a tent on my own property," and that rabbit hole is wider and deeper than I care to jump into tonight.

I'm a good ways "out there," but there are a lot of building codes that would probably still apply if my husband ever decides to build a "tiny house," as he'd like to do someday.

Even getting rid of a building is a boatload of paperwork, as I found out last fall.

Back
Top Bottom