Which way does your coop face??

Dixiedoodle

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2007
North/south etc...Which side are your runs on? Do the runs total surround the coop--allowing the chickens to move as the want/need for sun or protection??? Thanks Dixie

My coop faces east. Their run is the 1 acre field the coop is in. The perimeter is pine and cedar trees which offer shade and predator protection. The coop is snugged up in the NW corner of the field. Wind and rain is almost always from the south off the water.

The door on my coop faces the east and just out the door is another old building where the girls can get shade as needed or wind and rain protection. It has two windows one on north, and one on south side. They pretty much get to free range, although we do have a run for them. They have shade from another old building in their run. I am thinking of adding a run on the south side of the building just to give them a little more room when I have them locked up in the run.

Last edited:
You should orient your coop according to your yearly weather conditions. You have to take into consideration the heat of the summer, the cold of the winter, the direction you receive wind/rain from etc. A coop can face any way, but a little planning ahead of time can make life for your flock a little less stressfull pertaining to dealing with weather.

Our coop faces East, with the run to the east side of the hen house. Since there is a window on the front side, I figured it would help to get the kids 'up and at 'em' in the morning.

Really, though, I was more concerned with protecting them from the North, where all of the cold comes from here. So.. they are snugged up tight against a little patch of bushes and trees on that side. Those same bushes and trees will provide shade in the summer, if they need it, and huge protection from any wind.

-Meg

Our coop will face South, it will situated behind the garage (not touching) and has a privacy fence on the West side and a LARGE shade tree covering most of the run. I think that if I offer deep litter and plenty of bedding, they'll be quite comfy. Right now, they are in a tractor that gets moved all directions in the back yard.

We are still building our coop it is facing south with a window on east, south and west side. We plan to put a sky light as well. We live in the north and it does get cold. The west side has a few trees for shelter and the north has a tall tree to provide partial shade.

Back
Top Bottom