White Chantecler Buckeye Cross

The buff, cuckoo patterned Cockerel in the foreground is one. The grey spotted one in with the Chantecler's and the Columbian patterned one is also this cross.

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_132817006.jpg
    PXL_20221009_132817006.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 30
Beautiful birds! And who are you keeping?
Mary
I'm actually only keeping two or three of the hens. One has a nice cushion comb like the Chantecler's, and the other two have very tiny tight pea combs. They are hardy and vigorous. I only crossed them to see if they performed better as a meat bird and I can say, the hybrid vigor did work, but that doesn't carry on long. So, for eggs those gals will do just fine. They have the egg production of the line of Buckeyes I purchased that were bred for that, and the more independent nature of the Chantecler. Our Buckeyes we're like puppies. They followed us around and always wanted food. I like the foraging ability of both breeds but the Chantecler is a tad less dependent on people. Our Buckeyes have been overly friendly, and also sadly, the killers of new flock mates carefully adjusted over weeks at a time.
Anyway, as an only breed, Buckeyes can be awesome for kids. As a group mixed flock they can be low in the pecking order, or an aggressor. Our Chantecler's are almost 'racist' chickens. They prefer their own kind and pay attention to themselves. The young cockerels will try and breed in season girls of other varieties, but are largely group people.. Chantecler's prefer other Chantecler's. Buckeyes love people, and food. On a Budget, the Chantecler is our better choice.

These pullets I'm keeping are very healthy and heavier, with nice tight feathers. They will be good for eggs and meat as I thought. I'm not looking to create and new strain though. I don't have enough to create multiple families.

Can update your progress with what you have learned with your chicks development.
I learned that all 3 with green legs are pullets. They are very attractive and vigorous. All three were cross bred but looked like pure Chantecler even though I saw them hatch out of Buckeye eggs. I have 3 mostly barred gene males and one with the Buckeye coloration, solid color that didn't show the cuckoo pattern. I ended up being able to tell who the parents were with most.
All became very meat worthy.
They were strong, healthy, good foragers, resistant to mites when a couple from our other flock got them, and they are independent temperament with very good foraging ability.
I'm actually only keeping two or three of the hens. One has a nice cushion comb like the Chantecler's, and the other two have very tiny tight pea combs. They are hardy and vigorous. I only crossed them to see if they performed better as a meat bird and I can say, the hybrid vigor did work, but that doesn't carry on long. So, for eggs those gals will do just fine. They have the egg production of the line of Buckeyes I purchased that were bred for that, and the more independent nature of the Chantecler. Our Buckeyes we're like puppies. They followed us around and always wanted food. I like the foraging ability of both breeds but the Chantecler is a tad less dependent on people. Our Buckeyes have been overly friendly, and also sadly, the killers of new flock mates carefully adjusted over weeks at a time.
Anyway, as an only breed, Buckeyes can be awesome for kids. As a group mixed flock they can be low in the pecking order, or an aggressor. Our Chantecler's are almost 'racist' chickens. They prefer their own kind and pay attention to themselves. The young cockerels will try and breed in season girls of other varieties, but are largely group people.. Chantecler's prefer other Chantecler's. Buckeyes love people, and food. On a Budget, the Chantecler is our better choice.

These pullets I'm keeping are very healthy and heavier, with nice tight feathers. They will be good for eggs and meat as I thought. I'm not looking to create and new strain though. I don't have enough to create multiple families.

Attachments

• PXL_20221011_181112819.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221011_181112819.MP.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20221011_134033895.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221011_134033895.MP.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20221011_133719786.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221011_133719786.MP.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20221011_133643923.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221011_133643923.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20221011_133527976.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221011_133527976.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20221003_200315191.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221003_200315191.MP.jpg
    685.8 KB · Views: 28
The above just had a few more photos. I didn't actually post photos of the specific girls I'm keeping. I have a lot of chickens. Catching them and getting photos isn't very easy. Getting them trained is, bug I don't encourage my chickens to hang out with people generally. That makes life exciting sometimes! 😉

Did you get weights at time of cull? age? The hybrid vigor must have helped. My mind is racing thinking about that cross from solid stock.

Very cool you maintain breeder stock and this is the exact thing that should be posted in the Meat bird forum. I encourage you to record weights and post there.

Back
Top Bottom