White diarrhea, ascites/fluid in bottom, dying

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Black Australorp hen, 3 years old, presents with white diarrhea since yesterday, fluid build-up in lower body, weak, closing eyes. I don't feel an egg. The fluid is not in the front, it's on her rear, below the vent.

Last edited:
Black Australorp hen, 3 years old, presents with white diarrhea since yesterday, fluid build-up in lower body, weak, closing eyes. I don't feel an egg. The fluid is not in the front, it's on her rear, below the vent.

Sounds like it could be water belly. A build up of fluids due to ascites. You can drain her abdomen to ease her discomfort. Are you sure it is fluid and not squishy tissue, egg yolk, fat or tumors?

Yeah, it feels like a squishy water balloon.

How is your hen? Have you read up on "how to drain a hen" or "how to tap a hen"? You will need an antiseptic, a couple of 18g needles, 3/4 to 1" long, that fit on a 20ml syringe or larger. A glass measuring cup is useful to know how much fluid you have removed. There are particular safe spots where the needle should be inserted. Are you willing to try? We can help. If she has already passed, I am sorry.

Yes, she did pass. I have drained a chicken once before and a lot of fluid did drain out, but it eventually refilled again and the animal died. She was a nice Australorp.

What exactly are the symptoms of ascites? Two of my RIR 11 month old pullets have some runny white "diarrhea" just this morning. They seem OK otherwise so fa. I have increased their protein feed because they have feather damage from an over active cockerel. Could it be something as simple as too much of a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom