White egg layer

jsz2009

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 22, 2015
Pa
hi, I was wondering what a good friendly white egg layers are out there ??
I have white leghorns but there not friendly with my kids, so just seeing if anyone has any ideas
Thanks in advance !!!

Welcome to the world of chickens!

All chickens can be tamed, but many tame much easier and stay tame longer than others. generally the Mediterranean breeds are more flighty then breeds like cochins, brahmas or Plymouth rocks.

Buttercups are said to be a little flighty, but generally really sweet. They lay plenty of white eggs.

Dorkings are suppose to be very friendly and docile and they lay a good amount of white eggs as well.

Polish chickens lay white eggs, though they are bred more for their appearance than their laying ability. They are prized as pets.

Best of luck!

I've been raising chickens for the past 50 years and all the Leghorns I've ever had were high strung, flighty and screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them. If you want a high yield layer that is calm and more docile and lays loads of large, white eggs you would be best off to go with one of the hybrid layers such as Austra Whites (which are Black Australorp rooster X White Leghorn hen) or California White (which is California Gray rooster X White Leghorn hen). A lot of hatcheries sell these two hybrids and with them you get the combination of the good laying rate of the White Leghorn and the calm and gentle disposition of either the Black Australorp or the California Grey. I have found the Austra Whites to be especially calm high egg producers.

I have Barred Hollands and they are the sweetest and calmest of all our breeds (well, tied with the New Hampshires). They are pretty rare in many areas, and not nearly as productive as leghorns.

I second the barred Hollands. I don't notice much difference between them and my other dual purpose birds, temperament-wise. but they don't seem to lay quite as well as the dual purpose birds, and not near as well as Leghorns.

Back
Top Bottom