white eggs

Carson213

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
West Coast
My whole life we’ve only had chickens that lay brown eggs. I know egg color doesn’t matter...but with my next flock I want chickens that lay white eggs...just for novelty. What is the preferred chicken for medium to large white eggs?

Leghorns are the obvious answer. Great layers, very popular.

Andalusians and Fayoumis are fun if you have room for them to range. Hamburgs, Houdans, Anconas, and Sumatras are other options. Most of these will lay medium eggs except for leghorns, which typically lay larger.

I have a California White, Chipotle. She's my mischief-maker -- full of personality, curiousity, and trouble. :D ;)

She started laying in mid-December, quickly moved up from Medium eggs to Large, and has consistently given me 58-62g eggs -- laid in the nest from day 1 -- with only one day skipped so far.

I don't think I'd want a whole flock of nothing but California Whites, but Chipotle has been a great ambassador for her breed.

0204211523g.jpg

0105211659 (1).jpg
1227201655d.jpg

And the only one I've got that shows her black flecks clearly (you can see by the comb that this was before she started laying).
1020201421_HDR.jpg

Some call these chickens "flighty", I call Chipotle active and curious.

I have one white layer in my flock... Blanca, a white leghorn. She is an absolute laying machine. We don’t add any supplemental heat or light, and since she started laying(she’ll be a year old in a few weeks), she’s missed 1 DAY! One single day. Even through winter. Eggs are always good sized and pristine.

I’d highly recommend. 10/10.

I have one white layer in my flock... Blanca, a white leghorn. She is an absolute laying machine. We don’t add any supplemental heat or light, and since she started laying(she’ll be a year old in a few weeks), she’s missed 1 DAY! One single day. Even through winter. Eggs are always good sized and pristine.

I’d highly recommend. 10/10.
I've heard they're dumber than heritage breeds - have you seen that?

I've heard they're dumber than heritage breeds - have you seen that?

No, not in the slightest. Mine has a big floppy comb though, which indicates that’s she’s from the more traditional Italian side of the breed. Not sure how long a breed has to be around to be considered “Heritage”, but Leghorns have been around for quite a while.

My girls free range daily. Blanca is one of my most adventurous, and also most alert while ranging. Her tail is always held high and fanned out, standing guard, and free ranges incredibly well.

Oh definitely, feather color has nothing to do with egg color(sadly... could you imagine a double laced egg?!? 😍)

I do like my White girl though. She’s a bright white “POP” in my flock when they’re all ranging through the underbrush. My next lightest chicken is a buff Orpington

Back
Top Bottom