WHITE LEG & YELLOW LEG = FUNKY EGG?

Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 3rd gen x-breed pullet with A rooster leg and a hen leg. The jumbo whiter rooster leg is even larger than the yellow hen leg.
Hatched on New Years Day, and healthy as can be, but has me wondering what the eggs may look like.

1. What color eggs do you think my Frankenstein Chicken will lay?
  2. How rare is this genetic mutation?

DSC00021 copy.jpg
DSC00027 copy.jpg
DSC00018.JPG
DSC00024.JPG
DSC00030.JPG
DSC00025.JPG

I guess I will find out the answer to the egg color in about a month or so.

How very cool. I like the unusual Some can go by ear color ?
Have you ever seen anything like this? I tried google-ing it but came up with nothing. As long as there are no neurological defects I'm fine with it. But he/she is active and has a healthy appetite.
But I afraid to breed her. I don't need to take the mutation to the next level.
kilroy bottom.gif

How crazy! I'm definitely a layperson but my gut guess would be that it's a dual sex chimera... I don't think that would be connected with anything neurological but again that's just a guess. Possibly reproductive issues but it may be fine and fully functional, as long as the chicken seems healthy I would just wait and see.

Apparently every cell in a chicken has its own genetic sexual specification, male or female, and the way sex is assigned during development is quite different from mammals, so part of the bird may sometimes get "switched up" to the opposite sex, if that makes any sense.

Here's an article I found about sex chimerism in chickens: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...its-own-male-or-female-identity/#.Wtd03I9lA0M

How crazy! I'm definitely a layperson but my gut guess would be that it's a dual sex chimera... I don't think that would be connected with anything neurological but again that's just a guess. Possibly reproductive issues but it may be fine and fully functional, as long as the chicken seems healthy I would just wait and see.

Apparently every cell in a chicken has its own genetic sexual specification, male or female, and the way sex is assigned during development is quite different from mammals, so part of the bird may sometimes get "switched up" to the opposite sex, if that makes any sense.

Here's an article I found about sex chimerism in chickens: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/n...its-own-male-or-female-identity/#.Wtd03I9lA0M
LOL I should of waited !

It could be a mosaic (or mosaicism) where there are groups of cells with different genetics that express different features.
Maybe a chimera, which means it has extra chromosomes (I think) in which case it would probably be sterile.
I will do more research later. This is very interesting. Hope you keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom