White Leghorn? Breed and gender

rockymountain

Songster
7 Years
Jun 14, 2016
I tried before, most likely under wrong forum. Sorry to resubmit. I was told this is a possible white leghorn. I am trying to make sure of the gender. I was wondering if she/he was a leghorn, is this common to have dark legs? She was purchased at a farm store sext and by breed. My daughter ordered and can't remember what she ordered. Confused as she/he has black spots as well. Anyway she does have skinny legs. I am showing pictures at 2 months old, not much development in comb & wattle but now is over 3 months (around 14 weeks, and there has been changes, but the last week no change in size of comb. Coloring can be pink on comb but wattle deeper red color. We purchased not long ago additional chickens, and one ended up being a rooster that took over the pellets, including this one and was a month younger. So glad it is gone, pecking, etc. to all. We traded this rooster for pellet, Sorry so much info, but thinking it might help sext. This white leghornl is now the protective chicken. Very friendly, talks to me in some kind of chicken language, that the other chickens don't do. Just love this chicken.

2 months old ( White with black spots) far right

3 Months old around 14 Weeks

She could be an Austra White which is a cross between a black Australorp and white leghorn. I'd say it's a pullet as a cockerel would've got a big red comb and wattles very early on. 10-12 weeks is when my bantam pullets started growing their combs and wattles. She sounds like a lovely chicken and I love the white with black splotches.

She could be an Austra White which is a cross between a black Australorp and white leghorn. I'd say it's a pullet as a cockerel would've got a big red comb and wattles very early on. 10-12 weeks is when my bantam pullets started growing their combs and wattles. She sounds like a lovely chicken and I love the white with black splotches.
I agree I think you got a beautiful Austra White pullet in your hands. I think those chickens are beautiful, and they are more friendlier then the skittish leghorns.
She will be really productive of beautiful white eggs.
Here is Cackles Hatchery description of the Astra White:
"Our Austra Whites are a cross between Cackle Hatchery
00ae.png
’s pedigree Black Australorp rooster and Cackle Hatchery
00ae.png
White Leghorn hens (parent stock shown). They were first developed in the early 1900's. This cross produces offspring that are very good layers throughout the year and lay a large off white/cream color egg. The Austra White pullet will be white with little black specks in some feathers. This cross is considered to be a heavier breed and their disposition is calmer than the pure Leghorn chicken breed. There are many benefits raising baby chickens from this cross. These hens will lay a lot of large eggs; have good feed to egg production ratios and good for chickens for backyards. Raising chickens for eggs at home can be fun and relaxing. Free range chicken eggs are great tasting eggs and this hybrid chicken breed has good reflexes for predator avoidance, however, they are white and easily seen."

She was the only survivor from a dog chasing, I lost two from heart attaches and one disappeared never could find. She kept calling for them it was very sad. I got her when two days old. She is so loving, and has accepted the two new two chicks since. I also added two silkies, but are babies not sure how this will work. The rooster I had only for one week caused so much havoc with the chickens. After that I don't want roosters. It is so nice to see they are so close. At night they roost so close and give each other neck robbing loves, but of course specks (white leghorn)is in the middle and being so loved. I am so happy as the beginnings for her sibling were so sad. Thank you for responding, it is really hard to imagine she is a he, for her character is such a mother.

She was the only survivor from a dog chasing, I lost two from heart attaches and one disappeared never could find. She kept calling for them it was very sad. I got her when two days old. She is so loving, and has accepted the two new two chicks since. I also added two silkies, but are babies not sure how this will work. The rooster I had only for one week caused so much havoc with the chickens. After that I don't want roosters. It is so nice to see they are so close. At night they roost so close and give each other neck robbing loves, but of course specks (white leghorn)is in the middle and being so loved. I am so happy as the beginnings for her sibling were so sad. Thank you for responding, it is really hard to imagine she is a he, for her character is such a mother.

It is very sad when you see them loose their little companions, I'm glad it has worked out for her though. And having such a nice owner really helps.
Situations like that though are what makes us get so attached to certain hens or roosters. I also have one older silkie that was the sole survivor of her clutch and I love her to death, she is so cool and calm.

Back
Top Bottom