White Silkie chicken with irritated and bloody anus.

They can live for many days without food, but not without water. Gatorade and water or Pedialyte, either will work. You also need to keep her inside where it's warm, 80-85 degrees is ideal. Sick bicks are almost always hypothermic, so DO NOT leave her outside or she could die. The poop you take to the vet should be fresh, so collect fresh poop about an hour before you go to the vet.

-Kathy

Yes she is inside/warm with a red heat light. @80+F

She is sleeping and will probably sleep all day long.

I am giving her water as directed by you; every two hours or so.

She is not drinking or eating on her own anymore :( She was yesterday.

I will still offer her water and food.
She is able to stand up on her own, but can't balance herself very much. Probably from just being too weak.

Thank you!
I hope that she gets better. I will do all I can for her. If I need to bring her to the vet again I will do so; lets see what the doc says after he analyzes the poo.

Thank you for the heads up. I will get some fresh poo from her before going in.

Cynthia
Thank you for giving me hope! :)

Last edited:
If you have some corn syrup you could mix a little of that in her water. I would give a Silkie 2-3ml just once. Note that you should not give fluids if her crop doesn't empty. It doesn't have to be completely empty, but it should go down in size.

-Kathy

Is she able to move away from the heat lamp? If not, you should turn up the heat in your house instead of using the lamp. I do not use lamps for my sick ones, it's too dangerous for them.

-Kathy

Ok I will do the syrup.

She can't I can mover her away from the lamp. The room is nice and warm so you are right no need for a light. :)

I will be checking her crop. I was not aware of this so thanks for letting me know.

Just a suggestion, but if you go to the vet tomorrow, I would try to get fresh droppings for samples. The fresher ones will be better for testing. Early morning ones would be best right before you go.

Yea I am going to do that.

I hope she gets better. She won't even open her eyes anymore :(

Checking her crop and getting her hydrated.

Her droppings are just white now. This morning they were green.

Yea I am going to do that.

I hope she gets better. She won't even open her eyes anymore :(

Checking her crop and getting her hydrated.

Her droppings are just white now. This morning they were green.
Take her to the vet in the morning, I think the vet needs to see more than just her poop.

-Kathy

She is gone. 1:49am.

The room is very very warm yet she was very cold.
Died with her eyes closed.

I don't understand she was eating and drinking until just yesterday. :(

Well I can say that I learned a lot. I want to learn more and not make the same mistakes again.

If you guys have more info about common diseases in chickens or other information please provide links I want to learn and know more (what kind of stuff to look for like diarrea ect). I started to study the anatomy of a chicken, but I want to learn more.

Well very sad. (T_T)

Back
Top Bottom