White Speckled Sussex?

GlicksChicks

Songster
Apr 11, 2024
I have a chick from my first batch of chicks from my flock and I got a chick that appears to be a white speckled sussex cockerel (named him Snow) and I have looked for pictures of White Speckled Sussexes and I have come up with nothing. In my second batch from my chickens I now have 3 that appear to be white Speckled Sussexes.

The father of all of them is a buckeye and the mother is a speckled sussex.

Picture 1: 4 Week Old White SS (Snow)
Picture 2: My Buckeye Rooster (Hops)
Picture 3 & 4: My SS Hen (Biggin)
Picture 5: Newest White SS Chicks
Picture 6: Normal SS Chicks from new batch

Attachments

• 20240415_085545.jpg
    20240415_085545.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240414_150201.jpg
    20240414_150201.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240414_150253.jpg
    20240414_150253.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240130_102956.jpg
    20240130_102956.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240410_164815.jpg
    20240410_164815.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240410_164642.jpg
    20240410_164642.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 13
I have a chick from my first batch of chicks from my flock and I got a chick that appears to be a white speckled sussex cockerel (named him Snow) and I have looked for pictures of White Speckled Sussexes and I have come up with nothing. In my second batch from my chickens I now have 3 that appear to be white Speckled Sussexes.

The father of all of them is a buckeye and the mother is a speckled sussex.

Picture 1: 4 Week Old White SS (Snow)
Picture 2: My Buckeye Rooster (Hops)
Picture 3 & 4: My SS Hen (Biggin)
Picture 5: Newest White SS Chicks
Picture 6: Normal SS Chicks from new batch
White Speckled Sussex are not a breed. Try looking up White Sussex, you will get more information because that's what they are called.
But breeding a Buckeye with a Speckled Sussex doesn't result in a Light Sussex.

White Speckled Sussex are not a breed. Try looking up White Sussex, you will get more information because that's what they are called.
But breeding a Buckeye with a Speckled Sussex doesn't result in a Light Sussex.
How did this chick come to be then? I only have 1 rooster and 1 sussex breed. What would this breed be then because he has somewhat of the design his mother had when she was a chick just a little more washed out.

Do you know what this chicken might look like?

How did this chick come to be then? I only have 1 rooster and 1 sussex breed. What would this breed be then because he has somewhat of the design his mother had when she was a chick just a little more washed out.

Interesting :hmm... when breeding chickens you never really now what you are get. It could be because of the white speckles in mom, but I am far from an expert. @NatJ will know more. :)

There is no specific name for this "breed" of chicken. It is a mix.

It should be genetically impossible to get that color of chick from that hen and that rooster.

Do you have any other roosters?
Do you have any other hens?

Can you get a picture of the comb on the white chick? That can sometimes help with identifying parents of mystery chicks.

When the chick grows up, it will probably look sort-of like a Light Sussex, but probably with the "white" feathers being a bit yellowish, and probably some dark red in the wing area as well.

Photos of Light Sussex can be seen here:
https://greenfirefarms.com/light_sussex.html

There is no specific name for this "breed" of chicken. It is a mix.

It should be genetically impossible to get that color of chick from that hen and that rooster.

Do you have any other roosters?
Do you have any other hens?

Can you get a picture of the comb on the white chick? That can sometimes help with identifying parents of mystery chicks.

When the chick grows up, it will probably look sort-of like a Light Sussex, but probably with the "white" feathers being a bit yellowish, and probably some dark red in the wing area as well.

Photos of Light Sussex can be seen here:
https://greenfirefarms.com/light_sussex.html
I had 2 roosters at a time. Both were buckeyes though. My hens, other than my SS, are Silver Laced Wyandottes, Black Copper Marans, and Buckeyes.

I got 2 of this coloration in my first batch but 1 didnt make it. And now in my secind batch I have 3.

I will do my best to get a picture and put it up as soon as I can!

Back
Top Bottom