white water poop

Heathbelle

In the Brooder
Mar 4, 2023
Hi, i'm a new owner of 6 chicks. they are 3 wks old. its summer in Australia but not too hot. One (not sure which) did a white watery poop on the brooding plate. One is what i'm assuming is stomach lining sloughing off?
they are all running around eating and drinking fine. i give them ACV and oregano oil from the 6 days old. Any idea what this could be? Help. i'm a tad stressed as we love our chicks already! 1677965182309.jpeg
1677965266621.jpeg

Hi, i'm a new owner of 6 chicks. they are 3 wks old. its summer in Australia but not too hot. One (not sure which) did a white watery poop on the brooding plate. One is what i'm assuming is stomach lining sloughing off?
they are all running around eating and drinking fine. i give them ACV and oregano oil from the 6 days old. Any idea what this could be? Help. i'm a tad stressed as we love our chicks already!View attachment 3421690View attachment 3421697
Welcome to BYC!! Bloody poop is usually a sign of Coccidiosis, but I’d wait for someone to correct/confirm me.

Thankyou. looking at the poop checklist, if its orange and stringy as above then just a lining. no actual proper blood but the white one is weird..hmm
With chicks, blood in poop can be deadly. Are they on medicated feed? If not, I wouldn't risk this and I'd go to the feed store or TSC and get some Corid. (Amprolium) All it is is a Thiamine blocker which will kill off Coccidiosis in a few days. If they are on medicated feed, you would need to feed unmedicated while on the Corid.

That appears to be intestinal lining. However, if it appears again tomorrow, and the other white watery poop continues tomorrow, I would start the chicks all on amprolium. Too much intestinal shed is a sign of inflammation in the intestines.

It is not uncommon to see a watery poop if the chick has been going heavily on water. Intestinal lining is also common once in a while. But when both persist into a second day, it's a warning sign of coccidiois.

Are your chicks under heat during the day? They do not need it after age three weeks. If they are under heat, or their brooder is absorbing too much heat from warm weather, it could be why chicks are drinking lots of water.

That appears to be intestinal lining. However, if it appears again tomorrow, and the other white watery poop continues tomorrow, I would start the chicks all on amprolium. Too much intestinal shed is a sign of inflammation in the intestines.

It is not uncommon to see a watery poop if the chick has been going heavily on water. Intestinal lining is also common once in a while. But when both persist into a second day, it's a warning sign of coccidiois.

Are your chicks under heat during the day? They do not need it after age three weeks. If they are under heat, or their brooder is absorbing too much heat from warm weather, it could be why chicks are drinking lots of water.
Thanks. I did start them on some amprolium to be safe. only had it happen once today and once a week and a half ago with the lining. one chick in particular is definitely drinking lots of water and i saw her do a normal poop with water around it a couple times yesterday. they just dont look sick at all so thats a good sign. all running around happy eating and drinking. they tend to stand on top of the brooder plate and run around in the day and only get under it at night once it cools down.
i'll keep an eye out for anythings else.
Thanks everyone above for helping out a newby !

With chicks, blood in poop can be deadly. Are they on medicated feed? If not, I wouldn't risk this and I'd go to the feed store or TSC and get some Corid. (Amprolium) All it is is a Thiamine blocker which will kill off Coccidiosis in a few days. If they are on medicated feed, you would need to feed unmedicated while on the Corid.
thanks. i did put them on amprolium to be safe. i dont know if their feed is medicated or not. will ck on monday with the shop. hopefully all is well

Back
Top Bottom