White Worms in Poop

I think it was a round one. I read on here that I should wait until the weather cools off a bit so as they don't drink too much. They drank almost gallon of water today between 10 chickens. They don't usually do that in a day!!!

I did buy Wazine today. I assume that we have to wait 14 days before we can eat the eggs again, right? I read that somewhere on here.

Quote:
It's very hard to overdose them on wazine. I'd do it now.

IF I get a choice, I worm in the spring and fall. But worms are more important to take care of. So I'd do it.

And yes - 14 days for eggs.

Okay, so I am very new to this chicken thing and seem to be having problem after problem with them. I found poo in the nest box today that resembled a picture having shed intestinal lining in it from website;

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

However, I had feed them a tomato two days ago and it also looked like that. SO...I'm unsure if the round ~3" long dead worm looking thing was intestine or a worm. It did look like the worms from the above site that they are calling"Ascaridia galli."

What should I do? Do I need to treat and if so with wazine?

Quote:
The digestive tract of an average chicken empties in 4 hours, so likely it's not still from the tomato. I'd say if it looked like a worm, and your birds haven't been wormed, treat them with wazine. Then retreat in 6 weeks either with wazine over and over, or with fenbendazole (SafeGuard paste) or ivermectin 5% pour on, or another very broad spectrum wormer.

I have looked up the wazine wormer and have found wazine17 and wazine 34? I'm guessing that the 34 is extra strength? However, my concern is that they both state it is not to be used for egg laying birds. Is this why you wait before you resume eating the eggs and if so how long? How do you know the time frame in which the wormer runs it's course and makes the eggs safe again?

thank you

Quote:
You want the wazine 17 (which is piperazine 17%). And yes - you just have a 14 day withdrawal before eating the eggs again. It's perfectly fine to feed them back to birds, dogs, etc.
smile.png

Quote:
You want the wazine 17 (which is piperazine 17%). And yes - you just have a 14 day withdrawal before eating the eggs again. It's perfectly fine to feed them back to birds, dogs, etc.
smile.png

This is what I was researching! So even though we cannot eat the eggs for 2 weeks-we can cook them up and feed them back to the birds? Not that Im going to but what would happen if people ate the eggs that came from the chickens being treated??

Just came on here for the same problem. Cleaning the dropping board this morning, I noticed some small white worms. I think "Chicken Obsessed" was right, in my case however. They were maggots. I'll need to clean the board more frequently with the warm weather here.

The poop picture page helped me out too. I laugh when I think of how many times I've looked at that page!

Back
Top Bottom