White yokohama from Cackle Hatchery

So how do they keep Onagadori? Maybe I should learn some tips for Yokohama-keeping. Obviously not have anything that will catch their tail feathers! How do you keep yours?

His pen is good, but no where near how they keep onagadori.
Their PROPER pens for single roos, specifically for tail growth, are called Tomebakos. They are for lack of a better description, a coffin, stood up right. About 9 inch front to back, 2-3' wide and about 6 feet tall. The front is a door , up top is a perch and windows for the cock birds to see out of.
The male stay on these perches and keep their tails form being damaged. In addition, they tails are frequently given mineral oil conditioning, as obviously they are too long for the birds to do it. Also, being penned this way, they have to have exercise, the owner have to take them out once daily and walk them for an hour, personally toting the tail to prevent damage is advised.
Special diets also are a must for these birds, fish protein, cabbage, and a few others are excellent for them. To be avoided are all grain, or grain based feeds, brown rice to be the exception. Grain builds up gluten in their systems over time and in a couple years will kill them.
All in all, onag, and non molter breeders have their work cut out for them, keep in mind, this is all per male birds, just imagine the work involved in multi - male collections.
Oh , I forgot to mention, also the solitary males have to be kept totally out of sight, or hearing range of any females. Knowing they are around will trigger a hormonal change causing them to molt. Obviously, all this work isnt totally needed, especially for breeding males. But is required for any who wish to get the optimum tail out of their specimen.
I'll stick with my bantam phoenix for now!, LOL​

I hear ya there Aubrey, that's way too much work and kinda sounds cruel to the birds keeping them in those little prisons like they do. I'd be happy with a 3 foot phoenix tail too if I can get it.

44102_pb280013.jpg

Red Shouldered Yokahama about 1 1/2 y.o.

I got my first batch from Cackle 3 years ago. I have some pics on My Page. The pics are a year old. 5 of the roos tails are about 3 feet long now but they have been dragging them through the mud all winter & look awful now. I will update pics in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow “Boggy Bottom Bantams” thanks for the info, that sound like a lot of work for a weekend warrior like me; but it will be nice to have a few just to keep the blood line but why are they allergic to corn and the most important question, where can you get them?
I just came from: “Arkklon’s Place” and let me tell you that he is truly passionate about the care his birds. Every single one is a Show Quality and he makes sure that every little detail about the cage, food and the water are well met. He has a lot of future projects in mind and I can’t wait to see how they come out, specially the long tails!

There are no pure onagadori in the US. David Rogers, has some of the best project birds I have seen here though, very nice non molters. They are very high though so be prepared. They arent allergic to grain, it is poisonous to them. They can not process the gluten chemical in grains there for it just builds up in their systems and over time will reach a toxic level and they'll just be dead. Uusually takes about 2 years.
Try the onagadori forum if you really are interested in them. It has tons of info to get you better prepared for them, as it is a full time job just to keep 1-2 of them
Aubrey

Quote:
wow. do these birds have any functionality other than the obvious? are they just show, or do they sell the feathers or something.
maybe thats a dumb question, but i just cant wrap my brain around caring for 10 feet of tail feather........ im sure there are shows with prize money so i answered my own question.

Back
Top Bottom