whitmore farm

I just wanted to add in as I stumbled on this thread. I agree with the last poster, the farm was beautiful, well maintained, and very organized. I went with my parents to get hatching eggs this spring. My hatch rate wasn't great, but that must have been error on my end because the fertility rate was excellent, but out of 30 eggs, I had 7 or so that were fully formed and DIS. I got 18 to hatch and they are doing well. As of this moment I have 3 Delaware, 3 Welsummer, 3 Morans, and 6 Amaraucanas left that are 5 weeks old and doing well. A few a deff roos so they need to go, but I can't wait for the hens to grow up so I can get some great colored eggs!! Anyhow, my parents are not much on farming, but my dad very impressed with his setup and knowledge. We also got some sausage and fresh eggs while we were there and wow!!! Anyhow, would definitely recommend to anyone looking to hatch some eggs and get some great egg layers.

I ordered Wellies, Dels, Ameraucanas & BC Marans from them last spring.  Unfortunately, of the 26 chicks I ended up 13 roos /img/smilies/barnie.gif   I ended up giving most of them away and only keeping 2 Wellie hens, the only Del hen of the bunch & a pair of Ameraucanas which I recently sold.  The hen was pretty but laying green eggs so I'm trying different breeders this year.

I have been raising Ameraucanas for 6 years, the foundation stock was from Whitmore Farms.
Started with 20 day old chicks, only 6 were of a quality good enough to breed,
nice vigorous birds, but the color of the eggs was definitely "greenish" and its only now slowly getting to the "bluish" shade after few years of selective breeding.

I have Ameraucana and Marans from Whitmore. Here are chick photos:

I received an email from Will at Whitmore Farm last night FWIW:

"The spring 2017 hatching season will be the last for Whitmore Farm. After 13 years, we will be closing down. It's been a great run, but for personal reasons, the time has come for us to move on. We are really proud of what we have accomplished with the bloodlines we have been temporary stewards of. A breeder that helped us get started with our Delaware once told me that when working with a bloodline, "you stand on the shoulders of the breeders that came before you". We will be shipping chicks weekly, every Tuesday, March thru June of 2017."

I had thought about trying Welsummer and Americauna chicks from them, but never did.

Oh no! I love my chicks I got from him (bought hatching eggs!) I have a beautiful rainbow assortment of eggs because of his great chickens.

Back
Top Bottom