Who Are My Parents?

So the chick has 5 toes on one foot and 4 on the other? Trying to figure out what I'm seeing here
Both have 5 toes but the one is a really small extra toe
8DD6C792-24CE-4F75-98E5-2F1B60A8912E.jpeg
08F29147-54D8-4E99-9302-CACB873BA78E.jpeg

Well, I guess you could count the ones that aren’t fully formed as missing since they aren’t all there. But who cares for technicalities?

I should’ve named him nubby View attachment 3134989
It's just confusing when you says he has extra toes, but is missing toes. :gig

Do we know for sure the he is a he, byw?

It's just confusing when you says he has extra toes, but is missing toes. :gig

Do we know for sure the he is a he, byw?
Lol, I know. But he is both missing and has extra toes. He has the polydactyl gene on top of having two toes not fully formed, so I think it’s pretty ironic in a funny way.

Anyways, no, no idea on gender yet. I usually default to “he”

I’m really wanting to say Blueberry is the dad because they have the same Look in their expression….

Attachments

• 3E7915FB-D2D3-457D-A537-E20EE89AFA5F.jpeg
    3E7915FB-D2D3-457D-A537-E20EE89AFA5F.jpeg
    445.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 570C4E3A-F91F-4D2F-B9FF-2970046CFCAF.jpeg
    570C4E3A-F91F-4D2F-B9FF-2970046CFCAF.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 5
Edit to add: wait, does that chick have blue? I was thinking it's black, but if it has blue, then the father must be Blueberry, because none of the hens with the blue gene could actually be the mother.

And if Blueberry is the father, the mother must have a relatively large amount of gold, so she is probably Pumpkin (buff Silkie) if the chick is male, or if the chick is female the mother could be Pumpkin or one of the Salmon Faverolles hens.

Oppy, the chick that’s missing some toes and has the 5 toe gene, ironically.
With 5 toes, he should have a parent with 5 toes.
With feathered feet, he should have at least one parent with feathered feet.
He has single comb, no crest, and no muff/beard. It is likely that his parents also have these traits, but because they are caused by recessive genes it is possible that his parents could have some or all of those and just carry the correct recessives.

The gold/silver genes are on the Z sex chromosome. The chick appears to have gold, which a female must inherit from her father, and a male must inherit from both parents. So this rules out a Salmon Faverolles father for any chick, and it rules out a Salmon Faverolles mother if the chick is male.

You didn't mention 5 toes on any of your roosters, so I going to assume the toes come from the mother.
That means the mother could be Pumpkin (Silkie), Stella or Meryl Cheep (salmon faverolles, with the beardless one being the more likely mother), Nala or Cookie (hatchery mixes with 5 toes).

Pumpkin has a crest, a beard, and I think a not-single comb
Meryl Cheep has a beard
Meryl Cheep and Sella have the silver gene
Nala has a crest
Cookie has a crest and a beard
So each of them has at least one trait the chick does not show, which makes it hard to guess who is actually the mother. (Silkie feathers would not show in a first-generation cross, so Pumpkin's feathers do not rule her out as the possible mother.)

If the chick is female, I think Stella is the most likely mother, but any of the others is also possible. If the chick is male, I think Nala is the most likely mother, but Pumpkin could be and Cookie might also be possible.

For the fathers, I think:
Maude, Easter Egger, is unlikely to be the father (pea comb, beard, clean legs). If the mother has feathered legs, he is a possibility.

Iggy, Light Brown Leghorn, is one of the most likely fathers if the mother has feathered legs. But if the mother has clean legs, Iggy cannot be the father.

Bojingles, Mille Fleur d’Uccle is a possibility.

Drago II, Salmon Faverolles could not be the father, because of having the silver gene when the chick does not. Being a purebred, he probably does not carry the recessive gene for gold.

Blueberry, Blue Cochin could be the father. If he is the father, I would expect the mother to have very little black in her coloring (so Pumpkin more likely, Cookie not.)

Tater Tot, BB Red OEGB, is one of the most likely fathers if the mother has feathered legs. But if the mother has clean legs, Tater Tot cannot be the father.

Caramel Latte, mix/some kind of wyandotte mix/barnyard breed, might be the father, but only if the mother has feathered legs. He has the Dominant White gene (turns black into white), but if he carries the recessive gene that allows black, his chick could show black.

As the chick grows, if it gets white earlobes, that will probably mean Iggy the Brown Leghorn is the father.

The chick appears to have fairly heavy feathering on the feet, so I suspect it either has two parents with feathered feet, or has one parent with quite heavy foot feathering (I notice quite a bit of variation in how much foot feathering the hens show.)

The chick has a lot of black, so I would expect at least one parent to show quite a bit of black (or blue on Blueberry, or white on Carmel Latte.) But the chick also has a fair bit of gold, so I would not expect a very dark father (Blueberry) and ALSO a very dark mother (Nala or Cookie. Cookie's white comes from the mottling gene, which is recessive and probably will not show in a crossed chick, so her chicks would be expected to show large amounts of black.)

Sorry this does not give a definite answer, but I think it at least narrows the possibilities, and as the chick grows you may be able to eliminate a few more (earlobe color or eliminate the Salmon Faverolles hens if the chick is male.)

Last edited:
Edit to add: wait, does that chick have blue? I was thinking it's black, but if it has blue, then the father must be Blueberry, because none of the hens with the blue gene could actually be the mother.

And if Blueberry is the father, the mother must have a relatively large amount of gold, so she is probably Pumpkin (buff Silkie) if the chick is male, or if the chick is female the mother could be Pumpkin or one of the Salmon Faverolles hens.

With 5 toes, he should have a parent with 5 toes.
With feathered feet, he should have at least one parent with feathered feet.
He has single comb, no crest, and no muff/beard. It is likely that his parents also have these traits, but because they are caused by recessive genes it is possible that his parents could have some or all of those and just carry the correct recessives.

The gold/silver genes are on the Z sex chromosome. The chick appears to have gold, which a female must inherit from her father, and a male must inherit from both parents. So this rules out a Salmon Faverolles father for any chick, and it rules out a Salmon Faverolles mother if the chick is male.

You didn't mention 5 toes on any of your roosters, so I going to assume the toes come from the mother.
That means the mother could be Pumpkin (Silkie), Stella or Meryl Cheep (salmon faverolles, with the beardless one being the more likely mother), Nala or Cookie (hatchery mixes with 5 toes).

Pumpkin has a crest, a beard, and I think a not-single comb
Meryl Cheep has a beard
Meryl Cheep and Sella have the silver gene
Nala has a crest
Cookie has a crest and a beard
So each of them has at least one trait the chick does not show, which makes it hard to guess who is actually the mother. (Silkie feathers would not show in a first-generation cross, so Pumpkin's feathers do not rule her out as the possible mother.)

If the chick is female, I think Stella is the most likely mother, but any of the others is also possible. If the chick is male, I think Nala is the most likely mother, but Pumpkin could be and Cookie might also be possible.

For the fathers, I think:
Maude, Easter Egger, is unlikely to be the father (pea comb, beard, clean legs). If the mother has feathered legs, he is a possibility.

Iggy, Light Brown Leghorn, is one of the most likely fathers if the mother has feathered legs. But if the mother has clean legs, Iggy cannot be the father.

Bojingles, Mille Fleur d’Uccle is a possibility.

Drago II, Salmon Faverolles could not be the father, because of having the silver gene when the chick does not. Being a purebred, he probably does not carry the recessive gene for gold.

Blueberry, Blue Cochin could be the father. If he is the father, I would expect the mother to have very little black in her coloring (so Pumpkin more likely, Cookie not.)

Tater Tot, BB Red OEGB, is one of the most likely fathers if the mother has feathered legs. But if the mother has clean legs, Tater Tot cannot be the father.

Caramel Latte, mix/some kind of wyandotte mix/barnyard breed, might be the father, but only if the mother has feathered legs. He has the Dominant White gene (turns black into white), but if he carries the recessive gene that allows black, his chick could show black.

As the chick grows, if it gets white earlobes, that will probably mean Iggy the Brown Leghorn is the father.

The chick appears to have fairly heavy feathering on the feet, so I suspect it either has two parents with feathered feet, or has one parent with quite heavy foot feathering (I notice quite a bit of variation in how much foot feathering the hens show.)

The chick has a lot of black, so I would expect at least one parent to show quite a bit of black (or blue on Blueberry, or white on Carmel Latte.) But the chick also has a fair bit of gold, so I would not expect a very dark father (Blueberry) and ALSO a very dark mother (Nala or Cookie. Cookie's white comes from the mottling gene, which is recessive and probably will not show in a crossed chick, so her chicks would be expected to show large amounts of black.)

Sorry this does not give a definite answer, but I think it at least narrows the possibilities, and as the chick grows you may be able to eliminate a few more (earlobe color or eliminate the Salmon Faverolles hens if the chick is male.)

He looks like a dark blue? I thought he was black but he seems to be a little lighter than that? It’s hard to tell. Also, Oppy has little wattles already showing at almost 3weeks old so I think I have a guess as to his gender :th

Anyways, I’m glad someone that has a waaaay better grasp on genetics than me chimed in too lol.

Attachments

• 1C71DBC3-28B0-4443-B11E-9E86E80D17BE.jpeg
    1C71DBC3-28B0-4443-B11E-9E86E80D17BE.jpeg
    794.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 11EBABE3-78CB-46D7-A686-AF342C1435AB.jpeg
    11EBABE3-78CB-46D7-A686-AF342C1435AB.jpeg
    854.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 2F711758-9B41-4008-8608-F11ACD190E59.jpeg
    2F711758-9B41-4008-8608-F11ACD190E59.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 3
  • 574B720F-0CBC-4B74-90A6-164FE9C50AEA.jpeg
    574B720F-0CBC-4B74-90A6-164FE9C50AEA.jpeg
    707.1 KB · Views: 3
  • B5DE7227-9A7C-4CAF-8421-63AE4A49EC29.jpeg
    B5DE7227-9A7C-4CAF-8421-63AE4A49EC29.jpeg
    770.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1EF2CF23-79FD-4131-80E6-D248174C8F18.jpeg
    1EF2CF23-79FD-4131-80E6-D248174C8F18.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 3
He looks like a dark blue? I thought he was black but he seems to be a little lighter than that? It’s hard to tell.
Oh, I think I know what happened.
You recently posted a photo of a blue chick, but that is Blueberry as a chick, not Oppy, right?

I was thinking that blue chick was another view of Oppy, the one you're trying to figure out.

Also, Oppy has little wattles already showing at almost 3weeks old so I think I have a guess as to his gender :th
If Oppy is male, then no Salmon Faverolles mother. So Pumpkin or Nala, or possibly Cookie, are the only mothers I think could be possible.

If Pumpkin is the mother, I'm guess Blueberry or maybe Maude as the father (because of how much black is on the chick.)

If Nala is the mother, I'm guessing the father is Iggy or Tater Tot, although most of the others are also possible.

If Cookie is the mother, the father should show quite a bit of red, so again maybe Iggy or Tater Tot, or perhaps Bojingles or Caramel Latte, but most likely not Blueberry and probably not Maude either.

Anyways, I’m glad someone that has a waaaay better grasp on genetics than me chimed in too lol.
Genetics can be like a giant logic puzzle: either fascinating or frustrating or sometimes both at once :D

Back
Top Bottom