who else has eggs cooking???

Down to 18 now. A few more were pitched in the past few days. Not developing. Must be the single digit weather made any of my birds think twice of doing more than eating, drinking or roosting for warmth. These last 18 are very active at candling tonight.

Today at 5pm will be the end of day 21. I candled right before lock down and all of them looked great. Moving and everything. And from what I can tell they are spot on for day development too, they look just as they should for the day they're on. The temp has been steady the whole time and humidity from what I can tell is good. I did everything right so how long do I give it with no pips or anything until I candle again?!?

Today at 5pm will be the end of day 21. I candled right before lock down and all of them looked great. Moving and everything. And from what I can tell they are spot on for day development too, they look just as they should for the day they're on. The temp has been steady the whole time and humidity from what I can tell is good. I did everything right so how long do I give it with no pips or anything until I candle again?!?

Usually within a day or so of the expected hatch. I usually get pips within 24 hours of the start of the hatch date, and expect everyone out within 2 days.

Well, my hatch is over...

I ended up putting in 7 out of 9 eggs & 4 hatched. I have 4 precious Tolbunt Polish babies.

2 Tolbunts and 1 Isbar egg didn't hatch. I did eggtopsies on all unhatched eggs. The Isbar died early in development. Both Tolbunts died late - neither had absorbed the yolk sac; 1 was malpositioned (head in small end of egg) the other was positioned correctly, but never internally pipped. I'm not sure what happened to make those 2 die.

My 4 babies are doing great though!

Well, my hatch is over...

I ended up putting in 7 out of 9 eggs & 4 hatched. I have 4 precious Tolbunt Polish babies.

2 Tolbunts and 1 Isbar egg didn't hatch. I did eggtopsies on all unhatched eggs. The Isbar died early in development. Both Tolbunts died late - neither had absorbed the yolk sac; 1 was malpositioned (head in small end of egg) the other was positioned correctly, but never internally pipped. I'm not sure what happened to make those 2 die. 

My 4 babies are doing great though! 

Congrats on your four that have hatched :celebrate I would love some tolbunt one day.

Sorry to hear about the ones that didn't make it :hugs
Enjoy your new precious babies.

After my last/first batch fail, I just had to try again! I started with 6 eggs (2 polish, 4 wyandottes/polish cross). At day 10 the two polish and 1 wyandotte eggs weren't fertile. That left me with three wyandottes/polish crosses. I ran the humidity to high last time (bad digital hydrometer)and I ended up drowning the chicks. I tried dry incubation with this set of eggs and I think I've got success! I'm so not trying to count my chickens before they hatch but it's so exciting. One chick is peeping and pipping! I'm still waiting for the other two eggs to start. I hope my first little one is out before I go to bed tonight, I'm so excited!!!!!!!

One has pipped!! Hopefully the rest will follow soon. Is it normal for no movement after the initial pip? It's only been an hour! Haha

Yes, pip and then nothing for several hours is totally normal!! Hard to be patient, I know!
Our first pip of our first hatch was 5pm and we didn't get our first chick until 6am the next day!!

Back
Top Bottom