Who else is waiting for that first egg?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/469317/iowa-blues-breed-thread-and-discussion/3050#post_15644393
This whole thread is about them. I got a couple when I finally found one Black Australorp for sale. I seem to always miss the Australorp when they are in.
Mine are pure black. I was hoping for birchin markings but I do adore the black chickens.

Your pullet on the left is closer to lay. The comb will still turn red even if it is a pea comb. Pretty hens.

This is my Silver Duckwing EE that keeps laying doubles. Poor Victoria. Her comb and wattles are not really red in this pic. It was taken about 3 weeks before she started to lay.

This is one of the Iowa Blue chickens I got. Her name is Dawn. Skye is more camera shy lol.

Last edited:
Hi all new here and have questions.

I'm waiting for my chickens to lay that first egg. When I purchased them a week ago I was told they were laying but so far nothing. I checked the pelvic bones and two of them I can get 2 finger between the pelvic bones but the other 3 only one finger. First how long after 2 fingers fit between the pelvic bones should they lay and secondly how long will it take for the others to open enough to lay? Third and final is the pelvic bone method reliable?

Thanks
Rodney
i have 5 hybrids, two started laying on 13th July. The other three nothing, they were supposed to all have been 15 weeks old went i got them,, very dubious about that now, it means they are 28 weeks old, one is near im sure, but not the other two. Good luck everyone

:highfive:
I knew she would get with the program!

Congratulations!
Im feeling your pain, good luck
263a.png

Suprise egg! I collected at about 11 this morning one egg from my leghorn. I was outside with them the rest of the day and I saw one of my br pullets messing around in the nesting boxes but never heard her squawking. I'm so glad I checked before I locked them up for the night. She tricked me! At any rate I have two laying girls! Curious to see if the br will lay as regularly as the leghorn... she has laid everyday since she started.

It's very small... I just have small hands.

Last edited:
highfive.gif

I knew she would get with the program!

Congratulations!
Oh boy, Oh boy, another egg today! I wasn't expecting one! Smaller than yesterday (really small) so me hopes maybe a different BO? I've had egg envy for so long! Like most others say, I'll second @Diney I had no idea how wacko crazy over these chickens I could get. What a fun thing. C'mon ladies!

Kinda makes you want to frame them they are so super cute.

Congrats on a second eggie. Mine are really starting to lay well. The group with 14 pullets and 7 little ole ladies had 10 eggs earlier today. Hoping for a couple more since there are 21 chickens in that group. The group of only ole ladies has 11 and there were 4 in there.

I sold all the large eggs the other day so nice to have a few from the old gals. Made some french toast tonight and fried eggs.
That one EE is still laying doubles. She has yet to lay a single yolked egg. Such a pretty shade of light green too. Hope she settles in and lays singles soon.

Mine are 20 weeks go out to clean them and check on them today and 2 of the 6 laid for first time it felt like they were never going to lay

Back
Top Bottom