Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Mine are only 5-6 weeks old. Got a long time to wait yet!
1f61c.png

Last edited:
I am not sure how to unbroody a hen because I don't have any eggs yet. But I watched this video the other day
. That might help.
You really can't 'unbroody' a hen. Unless you take the eggs away from her, BEFORE they start to develop the chick. My chickens are laying, well, most of them. The others are either to young to lay, or are broody. My favorite hen (as shown in my profile pic), is broody, she's about 2 years old and has hatched 2 rounds of chicks in the past year, and is working on another now. I let my hens become broody. More chickens, more eggs.

I just want to fast forward a little so I can get my first egg! My girls are only 15 weeks old but I am really excited for that first egg! I know I probly have to wait another month or two.

I have
3 Dominiques
3silver laced wyandottes
3 buff orpingtons
3 East eggers
3 Welsummers

I think my Dominiques will be first to lay. Whats your guess?

I am pretty sure my Easter eggers will be the last to lay because they are the ones I am most excited about. And thats just my luck.

My guess is the Orpingtons :)

I still remember waiting for my first eggs- its so exciting! Make sure you share the photos when they do...

Still waiting for my ISA browns to lay eggs. I think they are now 24 wks. Trying to break them of sleeping in the nesting boxes. Their combs and wattles are a pink. One is turning a little red. Hopefully soon.
How are you breaking their habit of sleeping in the nest boxes?! My chickens do that too, And I can't get them to stop. What are you doing to get yours to stop??

Do you guys buy egg cartons?  We've been saving egg cartons since the fall, knowing we would get chickens in the spring.  Once our birds start laying we will have more eggs than we can manage (red sex links and leghorns typically lay everyday) so we will go through our stored carton by selling/giving away eggs to friends, family and coworkers. 
Tractor supply has egg cartons

Someone suggested blocking off the nesting boxes until they are closer to laying. Also, raise the roost above the nesting boxes (mine was the same level). Sadly a possum killed by ISA Brown and the Dominique last night.

I have 12 week old chicks 3 Easter egger, 4 buff Orpington and 2 RI red and I know they're still too young to lay but I still check everyday! Can't wait to see te colors of my Easter eggers too!

I have 2 BO and 2 RIRS all are 20 wks old but only one of the RIR has started laying eggs, That would be Lily and believe it or not she's the smallest of them all. She started laying at 19 wks old June 1st. As of today she's laid 8 eggs in 10 days! I can't wait for the others to start laying cause I want to share eggs with the family and friends!

How are you breaking their habit of sleeping in the nest boxes?! My chickens do that too, And I can't get them to stop. What are you doing to get yours to stop??
Make sure your roosts are higher than your nest boxes and wide enough for comfortable roosting. Chickens can't grip perches with their feet like other birds, so a wide(at least 3inches), flat roost is preferable. Each bird will need at least 1 foot of linear roost space, as well. Having multiple roosts at varying heights will help. Some dominant hens won't let the lower ranking hens on 'her' roost.

Back
Top Bottom