Who else is waiting for that first egg?

[/IMG]
Still waiting they're only 12 weeks old now (no choco eggs yet.

Don't even know how old mine are. I should've kept a diary or something.

Here is a pic of my hens. Can anyone
tell age range by pics?
I just saw this come up on another response in the thread.

My BR's are 12 weeks and have combs almost identical to the one that's looking down closest to the camera. Assuming that everything else is equal around genetics, feed, blah blah blah, I would guess them in the 12 week range with the clearly developing but still uncolored comb.

That pic was 9 days ago--any more size or color added to the combs and waddles?

My ladies are starting to learn the routine and are all safely tucked up in their coup, but they seem to want to wait until the light is almost gone before they make their way there.......and there is always one.....I think the same one, who is reluctant to leave the garden and make her way inside. Even the rooster has found his roost before she will go in.............but its definitely easier and calmer for me the last couple of nights.

No such thing as Americana. There is a breed called Ameraucana, but they only lay blue eggs. If they came from green eggs, then the mother was an Easter Egger. If she was crossed with a brown egg laying rooster, you only have about a 25% chance for similarly green eggs. If your girls have pea combs, then the odds for green eggs are a bit better. If they have straight combs, they most likely lay brown eggs.

Are my Americanas actually easter eggers? They lay green and blue eggs.

I have 10 week old jubilee orpingtons that wont be laying for a LONG while. Its driving me even more crazy because I'm planning on hatching their eggs!!! Does anybody know when they usually lay their 1st. Is it like typical chickens.
My little sisters barred rock pullet, Lily, layer her first at eggsactly 16 weeks.
1f601.png

Are my Americanas actually easter eggers? They lay green and blue eggs.
If you bought them from a feed store or hatchery, they are probably Easter Eggers. True Ameraucana are rare, and they cost a lot more than the average chick. They only lay blue eggs. With an Easter Egger, there is no guarantee of egg color, they can lay blue, green, or brown. Americana is an intentional misspelling of Ameraucana to deceive novice buyers. Hatcheries started with some Araucana and Ameraucana, and then crossed them with other breeds to increase the lay rate. This is why Easter Eggers can vary so much.

Back
Top Bottom