Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Most Orpingtons start laying at about 6-8 months old.

@Gremores that sounds normal to me although I'm not sure. 20 weeks is 5 months so they'll be laying soon.
smile.png
6-8 mths is when mine started to lay.The first started in April [ Autumn] and now all 3 of them are laying in the middle of winter which is nice.

Still waiting but my oldest is now 19 to 20 weeks and the rest are anywhere from 17 to 18 weeks old. all have very red faces though, I don't figure my EE's will start laying until next month since it seems they take longer to start but hoping my Australorp will start soon. (she is my oldest) and the two youngest still have a few weeks to go as they are about 16 to 17 weeks old, probably 17 . weeks.

So our australorps are still not laying!!!
1f629.png
they are 20 weeks and I am anxiously waiting for their "rent". Any one have some lay this late? I am blaming it on the heat wave

That is not late. I once had an EE who didn't lay her first until 43 weeks. She was the last. It was sad because 5 weeks later, the neighbors dog got her. I miss getting her pretty green eggs. But we have another EE who is 14 weeks, and appears to be crossed with a RIR, so she should lay green eggs too. Only time will tell though.

Got the first egg today from one of my Gold sex links! It was balanced on the little strip of wood on the ramp that gives the chickens something to grip as they go up and down the ramp. It was broken but it was funny how the chickens went up and down the ramp and did not disturb it. Here it is. Even though it's not serviceable, I now have productive chickens! I'm so excited and relieved.

Back
Top Bottom