Who else is waiting for that first egg?

Okay, so what are the signs we should watch for that will let us know the ladies are getting ready to lay eggs. Also, does egg-laying hurt them??? In reading about the process, it would seem that it would be painful. I'm still amazed with the whole egg-making process. Wow!

If it is painful, it's not like they have a lot of choice in the matter. Those eggs need to come out, whether they like it or not. There's nothing that can be done to stop it from happening. Kind of like having a baby, you can't keep it in the womb forever.

Last edited:
Ugh...I feel sorry for them! But...I guess that's what God intended. I do like eggs...
wink.png

It looks like it would be a mild discomfort, but I don't think its painful. That's just total conjecture though.

Last edited:
19 weeks 5 days

My white Leghorn Pearl laid her first egg today. Thank goodness. Ordered the chicks early just so they'd be laying when grandson is here visiting. He has been here 3 weeks and leaves on Saturday. I think he'll be having french toast for breakfast.

2 days ago I got an egg from the EE. Sadly it was broken and in the run. I found it at closing time and it was already getting pretty dark. I think it was blue. Could have been a green one still.
The silly Delaware AKA my egg eater stole the shell as I was walking through her side of the run. She had it gone so fast I did not even get a little piece of the shell to see what color it was in the light.
I am hoping for a second egg from her soon. There are 2 others that are squatting out of the newer chickens too. Both of them are Partridge rocks age is 19 weeks as of this coming Friday.

I have to toss up a pic of the EE since I think she is oddly colored and quite pretty.
This is Victoria she is also 19 weeks on Friday.

Got my first egg today! So excited! A lovely small, very hard shelled lightly blueish tinted egg. So excited! Now I just need to figure out if it came from my Cream Legbar or my Easter Egger. I hope it came from the CL since she is nearly 8 months and she hasn't laid yet, but I have a feeling the EE (she's only 5 months old) left it for me because she has been squatting like crazy the last 2 weeks every time I reach toward her. And her comb has gotten really red.

Congratulations! I just got my first egg today also, a small beautifully shaped brown egg from one of my twelve Black Sexlinks. I am really excited. The girls are only four and a half months old. What fun!!

As with the first batch of pullets I got years ago, none of my girls are squatting. Even Pearl doesn't squat and she laid today. I have 2 more that will probably lay within a week.

Back
Top Bottom