Who else is waiting for that first egg?

I guess I will keep them in the pen until I am sure they are laying and using the nesting boxes. Sure hope that isn't too long because they are not going to be happy. They love their freedom.

I know they love the freedom. I should mention that you can still let them out in the afternoon and evening. Most egg laying happens in the AM so they are not totally stuck in the run.
big_smile.png

I am so jealous! My 12 Isa's are 17 weeks and I haven't got an egg yet. They are squatting really good and their combs are bright red and swollen. Congrats!

Yours won't be much longer! Mine having been squatting for about a week and their combs are getting redder each day.

My new pullets 22weeks aren't squatting like my older hens used to, I would just make a motion as if I were reaching down and they would hit a squat, but when I pet them down their back they pick up their tail, is that the same as a squat ?

My new pullets 22weeks aren't squatting like my older hens used to, I would just make a motion as if I were reaching down and they would hit a squat, but when I pet them down their back they pick up their tail, is that the same as a squat ?

A few of mine are doing that. It's pretty hilarious. Still no eggs... little turd birdies

I am so jealous! My 12 Isa's are 17 weeks and I haven't got an egg yet. They are squatting really good and their combs are bright red and swollen. Congrats!

Wow! Some are laying eggs at 15 weeks? My mixed flock ar,e as of this coming Thursday, 18 and 19 weeks old. So I felt better reading your post. No eggs yet! Their combs are all red and I have seen a couple squat while walking around the yard. Should I put them on layer feed now or wait till they actually pop an egg out? I'm new at this and quite anxious. BTW what's an ISA? So many things to learn!

Back
Top Bottom