Who else is waiting for that first egg?

We got our first egg today. We have 11 RIR's and they are 144 days old today and we got our first egg. The egg was a little small but we got our first one. Its a cute little light brown egg and just as clean as can be.

Congratulations on your first egg! And I commend you for keeping track of how many days old your pullets are- it's all I can do to remember how many weeks, or even what month I got them in. (March or April? I could probably easily figure it out, but off the top of my head, I don't know. Oops. :) )
I'm hoping I'll get a first egg soon. My chicks will be 18 weeks old Sunday, and my Sex-Link's comb is reddening up, and she's friendlier than ever! She hasn't started to squat yet, but I'm hoping that she'll lay in a week or so
pop.gif

I'm very jealous of all these people getting eggs at 16-19 weeks. My barnevelders and Hamburgs are 22 weeks old, had big red hen combs for a month, AND STILL NOT LAID!! I'm still waiting ... Waiting forever ...

Well we're two weeks into laying at my house and my barred rocks are 20 weeks old. Four out of the six are laying and the fifth will be any day now. My little "Bloom" is a late bloomer and is just barely getting a comb! The mature rate really varied between my six, so just hang in there if you don't have any eggs yet!

My girls laid at wacky times of the day with no rhyme or reason but on Saturday I started getting two eggs a day before 10am. I've gotten 2+ dozen in two weeks! They started off TINY and are slowly - let me stress SLOWLY lol getting bigger!

It's a submissive gesture that they do for the rooster or sometimes for a chicken higher in the pecking order.Also for humans.if you put your hand out as if to pet them and they squat and spread their wings out bracing themselves slightly.It's a sign of maturity.There's no point in the rooster mating the hen if she is not already or about to lay eggs.All my chickens laid their first egg roughly a week after first squatting for me.Hope that helps.

It's a submissive gesture that they do for the rooster or  sometimes for a chicken higher in the pecking order.Also for humans.if you put your hand out as if to pet them and they squat and spread their wings out bracing themselves slightly.It's a sign of maturity.There's no point in the rooster  mating the hen if she is not already or about to lay eggs.All my chickens laid their first egg roughly a week after first squatting for me.Hope that helps.
That's really helpful, thanks. My RSLs are 12 weeks, so early days for us but something to watch out for.
1f604.png

It's a submissive gesture that they do for the rooster or  sometimes for a chicken higher in the pecking order.Also for humans.if you put your hand out as if to pet them and they squat and spread their wings out bracing themselves slightly.It's a sign of maturity.There's no point in the rooster  mating the hen if she is not already or about to lay eggs.All my chickens laid their first egg roughly a week after first squatting for me.Hope that helps.

We've just started noticing our almost 19 week old black sexlink squatting when we try and pet/pick her up so fingers crossed eggs will be following along soon.

Back
Top Bottom